Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secrets of properly using smoke in the Egg

Options
How do you know what is enough wood but not too much?
Do you put the wood ( apple, cherry, maple etc) when you start the fire or after the fire is established ?
Is there bad smoke ? Do you let the initial smoke out before you apply the meat or is all smoke good?
Are you smoking the entire time you cook or just part of the time( perhaps redundant question)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No secrets-personal choice-search wood smoke etc and you will get lots of info-if the search function here is weak (as normal) then google smoke woods and big green egg in the same query and go from there.  Time for some homework-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I know, but I'm not telling...it's a secret.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Won't try to answer all the questions, but an easy one is, yes there is bad smoke.  You want to wait until the heavy white/gray smoke is gone and you get a thin almost blue like smoke.

You will figure out with experience how much wood is enough and how much is too much.  Be careful when smoking poultry because it really draws the smoke into the meat.