Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork?

Do any of you cut up your butts into smaller chunks before smoking. I have done a few cooks like this. Adds surface area for the rub and more bark. Seems to make for a faster cook as well. Usually smoke for around 3 hours then into a pan with a little liquid and foil. Speeds things up and I haven't really noticed any drawbacks in the finished product other than the bark does soften a bit. Thoughts? Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I would only think that it may make the pork slightly less forgiving. If it's working, sounds awesome.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Seems like a cool method if your in a hurry. Do the pieces cook at a consistant rate?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I've tried smaller pieces of butt, between .3 and 3 pounds, the finished product is somewhat drier than I like. However, I've not tried foiling w. liquid.

You method gives me an idea. Take a bunch of sliced shoulder (aka country ribs,) and start cooking them in foil to boost the speed. Then unwrap, rub, and finish in warm smoke to build the bark.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I haven't really noticed the pieces cooking any differently.  Pretty consistent across the board.  I try to get them as close as possible to all being the same size.  I do my chuck roast for pulled beef like this as well. 
    XL BGE