Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to find the baby back rib recipe by the guy who

has since apparently passed away....had something to do with a car wash or something......appreciate it....gonna try our first this weekend on bge

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    Carwash Mike. Just google that and ribs. I believe thirdeye has the method on his site "playing with fire and smoke"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited January 2013

Tried to paste the link but it said it needed to be approved but you can find it on this blog site.

Playing With Fire and Smoke

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have been doing the 3-1-1 method for a few years now and they always turn out great. Get your temperature set at 250-260 indirect and put in your hickory or whatever you like, wait for clear smoke about 20 minutes. Put on your ribs, I rub mine the night before. If you use a rib rack you can foil the ends that may be hanging over direct fire. Smoke the ribs for 3 hours no lower than 250 no higher that 275. After 3 hours wrap the ribs in foil, remove the rib rack and put back on the egg for 1 hour, still indirect. After an hour remove the foil and put the ribs back on the grate indirect you can now add your bbq sauce or just go dry rub (my favorite) after an hour they are ready let them rest for 20 minutes or so and eat. Good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    JRWhitee said:
    I have been doing the 3-1-1 method for a few years now and they always turn out great. Get your temperature set at 250-260 indirect and put in your hickory or whatever you like, wait for clear smoke about 20 minutes. Put on your ribs, I rub mine the night before. If you use a rib rack you can foil the ends that may be hanging over direct fire. Smoke the ribs for 3 hours no lower than 250 no higher that 275. After 3 hours wrap the ribs in foil, remove the rib rack and put back on the egg for 1 hour, still indirect. After an hour remove the foil and put the ribs back on the grate indirect you can now add your bbq sauce or just go dry rub (my favorite) after an hour they are ready let them rest for 20 minutes or so and eat. Good luck.

I'm not sure if you are saying that Mikes method was 3-1-1 but I've seen that here before. Mike did his low and slow, very low in the beginning for smoke effect and then raised the temp a couple of hours in. He didn't use foil.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sorry, I didn't know Mike I was just giving you my way of smoking ribs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Carwash Mike's method is the best I have tried by far. Takes a little longer but, wow ....
    LBGE and Mini
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Here is Mike's method:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

I've done these quite a few times, and they turn out great!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Foiling steams the ribs and changes the texture.  Helps tenderize, but if you work at it, pay attention to your temps and time the ribs are better not foiled.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use the 5 1 5...5 beers per 1 hour for a 5 hour rib cook. Don't know how they taste...never eaten them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    AleBrewer said:
    Here is Mike's method:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

I've done these quite a few times, and they turn out great!

Please understand that you must have a beer in your hand when cooking these ribs. It is tradition.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    henapple said:
    I use the 5 1 5...5 beers per 1 hour for a 5 hour rib cook. Don't know how they taste...never eaten them.

ive been using the same method for years!!!!works great!the only difference is ive eatin them!just cant rember what they tasted like!probly good cause there always gone in the morning!!!along with the all the beer!!!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm looking forward to the 4th this year. Also the 10th, since that is when the tradition started.
  • Little Steven
    JRWhitee said:
    Sorry, I didn't know Mike I was just giving you my way of smoking ribs.
    No need to be sorry. I've just noticed Mike's method being associated with the 3-1-1 method and was trying to clarify.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Rib cooking...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN