Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial report on Cold Smoker 3 (7 pics)

First, let me assure everyone that I have no affiliation with the company that makes Cold Smoker 3, and I couldn't give a rat's Mangrate whether or not you buy one.  But, a few expressed interest in it, so here is my first attempt at using it.

I bought an 8 inch 1/2 in, pipe to replace the shipped 3 inch pipe so it would clear the table.

Looking down the cannister.  The charcoal and chips will be put in here and the wire mesh keeps them in.

Light it with some crushed Magic Light charcoal.

When the flames die down, fill with wood chips.

Put the top and bottom caps on.  Now, here's my problem.  The fitting that was supposed to fit a Big Green Egg doesn't fit.  To get it to even sit there, I had to bend it with a crescent wrench.  Still, as you can see, it leaks profusely.
I don't get any draw out the top of the Egg.image

However, if I open the dome, it is saturated with smoke.  So, I think I'm happy with the meat getting smoked, but I need to work on getting a better fit at the bottom.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hmmm..... They made it seem so easy in the video. Do you thing they may have sent the wrong adapter?

Otherwise, it looks good to go.
  • Can you just stick the pipe into the Egg vent without the adapter?  shut the vent on the pipe or just leave it wide open.   The egg ought to draw an take the smoke with it.  With the a-maz-n I just put it in the egg and opened the vent all the way.  This would be the same principle.  an even longer pipe might be in order.
  • You could even put a hose on the end of the pipe if positioning the cold smoker was a problem.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to play around with it.  But, here's an update.  I noticed my air hose wasn't seated correctly, so now I'm getting some draw.  And, when it started drawing smoke out the top, it quit leaking at the bottom.  Still not happy with the Egg adapter, but the bacon is getting a LOT of smoke.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Pretty cool VI. I see your egg has the strange hard gluelike substance around the bottom vent like mine. Wonder what it is? Mine only appeared after the high que went in.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:
    Pretty cool VI. I see your egg has the strange hard gluelike substance around the bottom vent like mine. Wonder what it is? Mine only appeared after the high que went in.
    Gosh, I don't know, Chubbs.  I've got a high que too, but I never noticed the ring.  Maybe I need to pressure wash it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs

Chubbs said:

Gosh, I don't know, Chubbs.  I've got a high que too, but I never noticed the ring.  Maybe I need to pressure wash it.

Only logical thing I could think of was having a ton of small prices of hot charcoal falling through high que and sitting in bottom of egg made a glue "melt" if they glued the vent into the ceramic opening and it dried out as soon as it hit the hot ceramic?? Who the hell knows. I touched mine with a toothpick as it was appearing and it was already solidified. Strange.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks like your egg is smokin' crack. 
    If you get any more leaks, you can get some metal vent tape at the hardware store to seal around the vent.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Will the adapter turn 90 degrees and maybe then you could adjust it's vertical dimension with the sliding piece, then close the draft door onto it?
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I guess that's what you call blowing smoke up your @$$.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    They seal the vents with plain old silicone. The seal on my mini wasn't complete so I called the mothership. I have a High-Que on my large and mini and haven't noticed any of what I see in the pic. ...
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Chubbs
    jlsm said:
    They seal the vents with plain old silicone. The seal on my mini wasn't complete so I called the mothership. I have a High-Que on my large and mini and haven't noticed any of what I see in the pic. ...
    Interesting. I havent had any performance issues but I definitely have the silicone creeping up my ceramic base like VI does. I guess if I have performance issues I will reach out to the mothership, otherwise I guess my egg will sport a mustache.