Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Quality Spar Urethane

Getting ready to start a new table for my LBGE.  Building out of cypress.  I would like to seal it right the first time.  Need some help with a good high quality spar urethane that will last.  Thanks

Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA

Comments

• Sub'd

XLBGE 
  • If it is going to be covered and in the shade any high quality urethane will do.   If it is not covered and out in the sun I would not use a urethane.  Unless you want to be redoing it every year.
  • Helmsman makes a great spar urethane. It is marine quality. 3-4 coats and #0000 steel wool between coats and you will have a like-glass finish! Grease will wipe clean. Need decent air temp though to apply.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    +1 on Helmsman. That's what I used on mine, and it's holding up great.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Captain Zspar finish and never look back.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Technique is as, if not more important, than materials.  Seal all sides of each piece of wood you use.   Where you're joining wood, saturate it with epoxy before you join them.  Keeping the wood dry is extremely important to surviving outdoors.  Keeping UV radiation is secondary, that's where spar paint is used to protect any underlying finishes, including epoxy.  Urethanes are brittle and yellow in the weather.  Spar urethanes add softening agents and a "sun screen" that help the finish adhere to the wood without breaches where water can intrude.
    what nola said. if its a smooth flat top table i might even want to put a sheet of fiberglass on top and put two or three coats epoxy soaked thru on it sanded, then real spar varnish. one makes it hard and durable, the spar protects it from the sun. my experience with spar urathane is that it scratches to easily the first year but does seem to get harder after that. epoxy/fiberglass with spar coating is what they use on those beautiful wood canoes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smasch said:
    Getting ready to start a new table for my LBGE.  Building out of cypress.  I would like to seal it right the first time.  Need some help with a good high quality spar urethane that will last.  Thanks

I'm no builder but I did make a table for my LBGE about three or four months ago.  I live ten miles north of the Gulf of Mexico and decided if it would hold up on a sail boat in the sun, salt water and rain, it should work for my table.  You have to get the Bristol at a boat supply or online.  Here's my table and what I used:

Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @ mudpuppy45...nice set up
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mudpuppy.........do you have it on your boat?
  • Mudpuppy.........do you have it on your boat?
    My boat.........fiberglass...............Cousin uses Bristol on his live on full time sailboat.
    Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115

Mudpuppy, that is a nice table.  Very much like the war department wants here.  Egg on 1 side, enclosed storage on the other.  
    Nola, thanks for the advice.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA