Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite rubs

Favorite pork rub? Favorite beef rub? Favorite poultry rub?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Butt rub, plowboys bovine bold, plowboys yardbird. These are my standards. I do enjoy using others though. The level of heat and whether you plan on saucing are big factors, and of course your palate. Just like whiskey or wine, one likes what they like.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I use Lantana of Texas.  Never been there but, they make an awesome salt free rub.
    I order it online at:

lantanaoftexas.com

I don't know why they parade it for diabetics (even though I am one) but, it is my preferred all purpose rub.  It's especially good for pastrami since it is salt free.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Bad Byron's Butt rub for butts, Dizzy dust for chicken, DP s raising the steaks for beef

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    lately its been zatar seasoning from penzeys and a creole seasoning from a local meatmarket, im pretty sure the creole is made by the spice mill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Received some Williams-Sonoma Argentine rub for Xmas.  Great on steaks.  Went to get some more and I passed...they are too proud of it-makes all the DP rubs look extremely reasonable price-wise. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I've heard great things about Plowboy's. I've been using Rudy's Rub on most things.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've asked this same question before, you'll probably get a vast array of answers.

As for my advice, look for John Henry's rubs, especially the Mojave garlic, Texas Chicken Tickler and Maple sugar for beef, chicken and pork respectively.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use this for all three and no it will not taste like coffee. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    The Rub Co. Santa Maria Rub Hands down the very best for me and other locals.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Oakridge Secret Weapon ,John Henry's Pecan and Dizzy Pig Raging River pretty much cover it for me...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like the Simply Marvelous rubs. Great flavors. Get the sampler which includes shakers from the whole line, not just little samples.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Has anybody tried the Big Green Egg Dizzy Gourmet, Viva Caliente Rub? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Fav overall? DP Redeye Express. Great on chicken, lamb, pork chops. Montreal on steaks. DP swamp venom on anything. Emeril's chicken rub on smoked wings and turkey. Dr BBQs herb rub on duck.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

DP Raisin the steaks or Uncle Chris' Steak seasoning on beef. I like the DP Raging River on chicken and turkey and Tsunami Spin on wings. I am experimenting with TX BBQ Rub.

I want to try the tasty licks products at some time.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Mickey's coffee rub is absolutely fantastic. I use it on chicken, beef and pork. It has a great taste and just enough heat for the more timid (I like it hot but not everyone does). If you have a "fancy" burr coffee grinder, you can set it at the finest grind and use that instead of instant. 

The measurements seem to shift some. Here's the version I use:
    INGREDIENTS: 

1/4 cup salt 

1/2 cup brown sugar 

1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 

1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label)

1/4 cup garlic powder 

1/4 cup ground black pepper 

Procedure: 

1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey

On both mine and jlsm .

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Crap....... starting to get not happy with photobucket.......