Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

P I Z Z A

500 Posts: 3,177
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
The setup... (Impressed with the size of Kroger lump) Plate setter legs down, old pie pan, BGE feet, pizza stone, 550* dome is my plan. More as this develops....
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• I am told that Royal Oak does private labeling for Kroger, at least on briquettes anyway.  Maybe the same for lump?
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2013
     I use kroeger but for pizza not fond of the smoke flavor it leaves.
    Seattle, WA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Cool set up. The higher in the dome the better. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    edited January 2013
    P I Z Z A; The Cook... First up was a Traditional with no-cook home made sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, onions, banana peppers, and dough from a local pizza place; "A N.Y. Slice" here in Midlothian. Second was a Mediterranean white with EVOO, garlic, basil, oregano, black pepper, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, banana peppers, feta cheese, and mozzarella. 550* on the Egg, it dropped to 500*. 8 to 10 minutes under parchment paper for most of it, rotating halfway through. High in the dome cooks the toppings before the crust burns. Crispy crust, chewy inside. Just about perfect. We discovered less toppings is better, especially for the sauce. Thin to win, we think . The pictures...
    Member since 2009
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    great looking pies...love the colors of the toppings.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498

looks great!specially the second one!

I'm sure they would have been better had I used a..................wait for it.......................Mangrate.
    Member since 2009
  • Not sure if you care, but the mothership suggests legs down on high heat cooks to keep the heat from burning up the gasket. Mines been gone for a year, still cooks great.

Pizzas look great.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Not sure if you care, but the mothership suggests legs down on high heat cooks to keep the heat from burning up the gasket. Mines been gone for a year, still cooks great.

Pizzas look great.

Did you mean legs up?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Not sure if you care, but the mothership suggests legs down on high heat cooks to keep the heat from burning up the gasket. Mines been gone for a year, still cooks great.

Pizzas look great.

I used to go legs down so I could achieve setups like @500 posted. Never had a gasket fail. Heard the mothership say better to go legs up so swiched for hightemp cooks. Fried 2 gaskets. I think it is a crapshoot. The right level of lump, the right amount of lump lit, the right type of lump, the right gust of wind, the right timing of opening the dome, etc factor into fried gaskets. At least that is my hypothesis.....and I am sticking to it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Those pies look edible
    I need to get better at docking and tossing the dough.  I've been watching Sal make pizza at A N.Y. Slice for years, and have picked up a few tips just watching him.  I need to invite him over for pizza on the Egg, so I can pick up a few more tips in person.
    Member since 2009
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Anybody have any good dough recipes? Been trying for years, just can't seem to find that pizzeria style crust.
    I haven't ventured into home made dough.  Others have.  I like the dough I get from the pizza joint I go to.  Maybe try that route.  Others here make their own dough.  Check the recipes section.
    Member since 2009
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Awsome looking pies 500

Great colour in those pics

Shane

Thanks, Mr.  The pics are taken with an iPad2, so not the best resolution and camera quality, but it's convenient for posting the pics, since I can attach the pics to a post without having to move images around.  We like the Mediterranean white style pizza.  Lots of flavors going on there.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @500: those are some rockin' pies. Will try the Mediterranean style next time we do pizza.

I have used Alton Brown's recipe for dough with good results. Nice thin crisp crust if that is what you are aiming for. I used to get dough from a local pizza joint, but making at home wasn't that hard.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.