Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatlovers Calzones with pix

We decided it had been too long since we did pizza or calzones on the egg.  So tonight we satisfied our craving.  These calzones were stuffed with a Six Cheese Italian blend, Ricotta Cheese, Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Sauteed Mushrooms and Bacon.........and then a little bit more cheese.  ;)

Brushed on some Egg Wash, and onto the BGE at around a 500 deg f dome temp.

These are always ridiculously good...:)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    damn that looks good. Do you mind sharing how you do the crust/dough?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    I've made the Naked Whiz dough before, with good results.....but I usually do things last minute and never plan ahead...Like tonight, this was simply the premade dough from the Publix bakery.  I always have good results with their dough. 
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've made the Naked Whiz dough before, with good results.....but I usually do things last minute and never plan ahead...Like tonight, this was simply the premade dough from the Publix bakery.  I always have good results with their dough. 
    Yeah, I get their dough too. So you basically roll it out like a pizza, fill it, fold it, form edgesw with fork? How about the holes on top? The brush with egg wash when on the egg? Nicely done.
  • Chubbs
    Damn ipad. Sorry. When I post it is split from your quote, but then is combines.
  • Dyal_SC
    Haha... No worries. For 2 big calzones, I cut one dough ball in half and made 2 calzones out of it. Roll each half until flat and round. Then fill up each one to your liking. Then fold over and crimp with a fork. Then I like to make 3 slits with a sharp knife before placing them on the egg. I also like to brush on an egg wash of egg/water before placing them on the egg...you get a nice golden color on top by doing that. Oh...and I also like using the parchment paper trick. I usually brush on a butter/garlic/Parmesan mixture during the last minute of cooking, which is very tasty. I regretted not doing that tonight....but it was still dang good. ;)
  • Chubbs
    This will definitely get done. Soon. Thanks Dyal.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Those look great! Thx for sharing.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    They look good! Are those the ceramic feet from the egg that you are using to raise the baking stone?

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    YUM-ME!!  Boy those are great looking calzones Dyal. I've never made calzones before, but I am thinking this is something I need to correct after looking at those pictures.

When you listed the ingredients you didn't mention sauce. Was this an oversight or is sauce not typically used on calzones? Also curious about a ballpark cooking time at 500 degrees?  Those things look so good I want one for breakfast. TIA

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx guys! CCC, yup, the feet are used to separate the platesetter and pizza stone. Jim, I ate half last night and the other half for breakfast. Great minds think alike. :D I hear conflicting views on the difference between a calzone and stromboli...especially regarding the sauce. But we prefer our sauce on the side, and not pocketed inside. I think they took about 10 or 15 minutes. I just peeked at them through the daisy wheel until they were the color I wanted.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498

those look fantastic!im trying that tonite!!

=D>
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I think I'm going to eat my screen. Those look terrific.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

• Dyal_SC said:
    Haha... No worries. For 2 big calzones, I cut one dough ball in half and made 2 calzones out of it. Roll each half until flat and round. Then fill up each one to your liking. Then fold over and crimp with a fork. Then I like to make 3 slits with a sharp knife before placing them on the egg. I also like to brush on an egg wash of egg/water before placing them on the egg...you get a nice golden color on top by doing that. Oh...and I also like using the parchment paper trick. I usually brush on a butter/garlic/Parmesan mixture during the last minute of cooking, which is very tasty. I regretted not doing that tonight....but it was still dang good. ;)
    Thanks for the info -- gonna do this for sure!  Great looking cook, Dyal! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chubbs

Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks for the info -- gonna do this for sure!  Great looking cook, Dyal! 
    There she is! I thought this looked like a thread you would check out.... Dyal his a homerun with this one.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Like a boss.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Great cook. Easy too. =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Look great Dyal, will be trying these for sure
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    They look awesome... Gotta try it soon. Thanks for sharing.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You've reminded me that its been too long since we've done calzones. Your look fantastic, Dial_Soap.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Dyal_SC said:
    Dyal, going to give these a shot tonight. Do you mind sharing the parmesan mixture you use at the end?
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx a lot, ladies and gents! Sorry Chubbs, just got your question. I just melt some butter down and mix it with a clove of freshly pressed garlic. Then brush that on during the last few seconds, as well as grating fresh Parmesan on top. You don't wanna burn the garlic, but you want the Parmesan to melt just enough to cling to the top. Lemme know how it turns out!!
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    I see you have legs down on the ps. I have done pizza w legs up, grate then pizza stone, sometimes bricks under pizza stone to get in the dome higher. Which is better legs up or down? Remember something that one of the ways is nicer to the gasket, can't remember which one....
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    MUST try this soon, have had some success with pizzas using the Publix dough. Great post.
  • Wow! Those look fantastic. What temp were you cooking these?
  • Chubbs
    Dyal, I will post pics tonight. I did it last night and it was fantastic!! Thanks for the ispiration
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx y'all...

otter, I'm not sure which way is better. I've always done it with the feet down, using the little green feet to separate the plate setter and pizza stone. But I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat.

VAPirate, I cooked them at an approximate dome temp of 500 deg f for about 10 or 15 minutes. Just peek at them through the daisy wheel with a flashlight to judge doneness.

Chubbs, can't wait to see the pix!
  • Dyal_SC
    BTW, good one Griffin!! Kids use to call me that growing up. LOL
  • Dyal_SC said:
    Thx y'all... otter, I'm not sure which way is better. I've always done it with the feet down, using the little green feet to separate the plate setter and pizza stone. But I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat. VAPirate, I cooked them at an approximate dome temp of 500 deg f for about 10 or 15 minutes. Just peek at them through the daisy wheel with a flashlight to judge doneness. Chubbs, can't wait to see the pix!
    Thanks, Dyal SC!  Will be trying soon!
  • Chubbs
    Dyal, where in Columbia are you? Which Publix? I go to the one in Trenholm plaza and their dough is a little tough to work with. So fluffy it is hard to roll. It worked pretty good on the calzones though. Only issue was the seam that I mashed with the fork came loose a little when the dough puffed up. Perhaps using the eggwash before mashing together with fork would make it stick better. Great recipe. Thanks again and will post the pics tonight
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Great cook!  I've always wanted to try them, but your post has pushed me over the edge.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE