Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time for pork spare ribs

Options
Looking for suggested cook times,temps and tips for 3 racks of pork spare ribs on a large egg. I have a large v rack and will be able to use a drip pan even though I don't have a plate setter. Thanks for your help

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Depends on the temperature. While I've been working on "turbo" higher heat cooks, my base technique is 250F dome, about 6 hours , indirect, at the raised level.

Early on, I did do a cook with a set-up that I think is what you are describing. That is, grill on fire ring, drip pan on that, and V-rack in the pan. As I recall, I had fluid in the pan, because w/o it, the drippings were burning. I also mopped or misted every 30 min after the first 3 hours. Turned out well, and took a bit less than 6 hours.

Most reliable test of doneness is the bend test. If the rack bends almost in half under its own weight, it is finished. Might happen faster, might happen slower.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We do Baby Backs and I use a platesetter so my times may not apply.  When we do ribs I do the 3-1-1 method, 3 hours bone down, 1 hour foiled with splash of beer or apple juice meat down, 1 hour bone down.  During the last half hour I usually sauce the ribs and if they stay on an extra 15 to 20 minutes thats ok to.

Gerhard
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options

As gdenby notes, bend test is the best indicator but if you have cut the racks in half to cook then use the toothpick test-insert into the meatiest part of the ribs-no resistance in or out means done.  Enjoy the cook.  Are you cooking them as spares or trimming St Louis style as that may impact your times.   But since you end up going by the above finish techniques it won't make much difference. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bluedawg357
    Options
    Lousubcap. I'm undecided on the style yet. I have never done St. Louis style but it looks pretty simple. I have a small egg but a buddy of mine has a large but he is still learning just like I am and he wants me to help him
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bluedawg357
    Options
    Gdenby and Gerhardk I have rigged a grate at an elevated level with stainless steel bolts as legs and a second grate as the lower level on which to to put the drip pan. Thanks for the tips
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I'm doing turbo beef ribs today. First time trying turbo with beef. Turbo pork are great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC