Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TIming for Beef Tenderloin

Dannyo14
Dannyo14 Posts: 19
So I am going to do a beef tenderloin tomorrow for xmas.  I know that we all cook to temp but I am trying to plan my day. I have a 5.5lb beef tenderloin. I am planning on searing it and then doing it indirect at 225 with a few cherry wood chips.  Does anybody have a guess on how long this might take?  An hour, 2 hours, 4 hours?  I would hate to start at 4 and serve dinner at 9 unexpectedly.  Thanks and have a merry christmas!

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    total craps shoot but when I do steaks low the reverse sear at that temp it takes about an hour and a half total (with about 15-20 while coming up to temp).  I'm guessing your about 4 inches thick so I would put you in the 2-2.5 hour range but total craps shoot from me.  I highly recommend a reverse sear on this too roast at temp to about 115 one 120 the sear about 60 secs a side. 
  • Thanks for the guess. I think I may do the reverse sear. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i like it on larger pieces (over 2 inches) I use it on tri tip, cowboy cut ribeye, and thick pork chops.  just don't over do it during the roast and your fine.  have an instant read thermo handy and pull it as soon as you get within about 5 degrees of desired ( I wouldn't take tenderloin over 130 max) but thats just me.  the hotter you sear the more carry over you will have also.  if you see are 500 you can go longer than at 700 because at 700 you will get more carry over temp.  just watch that thermo and you will be fine.
  • Reverse sear was a winner.  I am a convert now and will never go back.