Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me thinks me want a mini....

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Or you could cut a Mangrate to 9" and round it off
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Or you could cut a Mangrate to 9" and round it off

Yup, that's the play.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    High Question???!!! Auto-correct is killing me.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Been kicking around the idea of a second egg for some time now.....still haven't decided between a mini or a small.

I cook mostly for two, and have a large now.....so it seems like a mini would be ideal. 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    AleBrewer said:
    Been kicking around the idea of a second egg for some time now.....still haven't decided between a mini or a small.

I cook mostly for two, and have a large now.....so it seems like a mini would be ideal. 
    That's what I've got (Large & Mini).  There's only 2 of us, and I think that is a perfect combo.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Large Mini is a great combo. Mini does most of the work for us during the week, the large is great for bigger weekend cooks. Hmmm...which one should I fire up tonight? Only cooking for one since Mrs G is back on the road again. Having choices is great.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Yeah....you guys are helping push me toward the mini.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just thought of another reason to own a Mini. For those of you living where it gets cold you can put your Mini in the fireplace and use it all winter.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just thought of another reason to own a Mini. For those of you living where it gets cold you can put your Mini in the fireplace and use it all winter.....
    Nice!! It doesn't get too cold in SC but interesting comment Mick. I see it now....SWMBO comes home, there is a huge piece of meat hanging in the kitchen, me sitting at kitchen table with a headlamp and meat glue glueing bacon to jalapenos, the fridge full of curing pork bellies, my pantry containers emptied and refilled with curing salts, and the mini going strong in the fireplace.... Man oh man an eggers wife must be patient!!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Don't know that the HighQue grate would work for anything very fine. The grids are far apart.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited January 2013
    Options

nm

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options
    jlsm said:
    Don't know that the HighQue grate would work for anything very fine. The grids are far apart.

It would have to be very small, and then just use a screen.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That photo is a picture of Mickey's 8 year old large Egg.  His wife asked him why he always wraps his cooks up in a Luby's Cafeteria bag before bringing them in the house from the Egg.  He said it keeps it fresher that way.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Options
    ManGrate can't we just all get along........................

• BeecaveKitchen
    Options
    What is a mini woo and where did some of these folks purchase indirect plates etc? I thought they didn't have them for mini, because if they do- I'm getting one!!!!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What is a mini woo and where did some of these folks purchase indirect plates etc? I thought they didn't have them for mini, because if they do- I'm getting one!!!!
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com sells the woo.  I bought two 8.5" pizza stones from Amazon.  One for pizza, one for indirect cooking.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Mini Woo (now looks different than in many pics you'll see on here): http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/mini-10-woo-ring/

Pizza stones for Indirect: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    edited February 2013
    Options
    @BeecaveKitchen Need for you to join us March 16 in Salado for the EggFest and bring your kilt if you have one. Tom will be here and you can see close up.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    What's going on here?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

What's going on here?

A rack of St Louis spares cut in half & cooked on two tiers.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

What's going on here?

That's amazing. I've got a small on hold at my dealer but this was a very interesting thread on the mini! I just feel like it'd be too small. Never seen one in person tho

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Options

What's going on here? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    That's amazing. I've got a small on hold at my dealer but this was a very interesting thread on the mini! I just feel like it'd be too small. Never seen one in person tho
    I was thinking about the small too. The reality is the small is not much bigger than the mini in terms of grate space. It is however a good bit heavier. My decision was to go with the mini for ease of packing up. Use the $100 difference in price to get a mini woo and ceramic stones. I mainly cook for SWMBO and myself only so mini would be great and a nice compliment to my large.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Yea, I just want a smaller one for week night me and wife or just me. But biggest thing is camping, tailgating and stuff. Traveling and stuff.

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    If I had the mini last night it would have saved me two burnt fingers. Had the large full roasting peppers and tomatoes over the platesetter. When they were done, pulled them and was pulling PS out too to sear chicken and damn welders gloves failed on me. Got a nice blister on my middle finger. Could have seared the chicken on mini while roasting veggies on large.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Chubbs said:

If I had the mini last night it would have saved me two burnt fingers. Had the large full roasting peppers and tomatoes over the platesetter. When they were done, pulled them and was pulling PS out too to sear chicken and damn welders gloves failed on me. Got a nice blister on my middle finger. Could have seared the chicken on mini while roasting veggies on large.

I use my small or mini depending on who is home, just like you said & veggies in the large.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Options
    First Egg was a Small, then a Large and later won a Mini. The Mini was used so much more than the other two I ended up selling the Small.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    What's going on here? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    With or without woo? I tried to stack with couldnt shut the lid.
    Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    With or without woo? I tried to stack with couldnt shut the lid.

Looks like there is a woo then a custom second tier above the stock raised (on woo) grate.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mickey said:
    volfan1 said:
    I ordered a mini for myself because my local deal was out of stock.  Does it come with the daisy wheel?
    Just as Gary said yes, but I do not find any reason to use it. Works fine without.
    @Mickey, have you ever "broken down" why or how u can go w/o the daisy wheel?  do you keep the ceramic cap on or leave everything off?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Does anyone else have the CI grid for the mini?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA