Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your partner/significant other use the Egg?

Comments

• I'm the grill sergeant, i do all the outside preps, she does the inside stuff. Been that way for 48 yrs., too late to change old habits.  ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

My wife know how to make minor adjustments on the temp and that is about it.

"I'll keep an eye on the egg and make sure it stays at 250.  YOU are taking to baseball practice this time!".

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wilma is content to let me do it.  She does fire up the gasser & cooks burgers or dogs once or twice a year.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited January 2013
    My wife is an outstanding cook and baker, but leaves the outdoor cooking to me (although she often directs what gets cooked and how). She loves the fact that we have the Egg, in fact, she bought me the Egg for my birthday last year and loaded me up with eggcessories for Christmas, but really has no interest in cooking on it herself. She will occasionally cook chicken breasts on the Weber gasser but only if I'm not home from work in time.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And another old thread gets resurrected....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

My wife uses the egg. Not as a utensil of cooking, but as a weapon. She can guilt me into anything.

...so you're saying the egg is like sex?  :D  A weapon of domination and control?

Precisely. She makes me wear this when I cook. The safe word is "Stewart".

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

When we first got the egg my wife was all in on cooking on it until she lost her hair on her arm, lost most of her eyebrows and a lot on her head. Now she won't touch it !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• My wife has cooked a total of 2 meals in 10 years - no joke :)  I am perfectly fine with that and enjoy the daily responsibility as a stress reliever to zone out.  

The only argument is..... 

Me: "Honey, before I leave for three hours come look at the egg again... do you see the temp is on (insert whatever)? It needs to stay within ten degrees of that  - if not - open or close the daisy wheel as needed"

Wife: What's a daisy wheel? I don't like touching this thing"

Me: Honey, this thingy on top allowing more air in/out - we have talked about this for 10 years now.

Me: (calling after an hour away) How's the temp?

Wife: oh.. let me check. too high / low... what do I do again.....?

Yes... the same conversation over ten years. 

And wouldn't change a thing about her....

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    bodski said:
    My wife is an outstanding cook and baker, but leaves the outdoor cooking to me (although she often directs what gets cooked and how). She loves the fact that we have the Egg, in fact, she bought me the Egg for my birthday last year and loaded me up with eggcessories for Christmas, but really has no interest in cooking on it herself. She will occasionally cook chicken breasts on the Weber gasser but only if I'm not home from work in time.
    I think we are married to the same woman.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    My wife will but my significant other won't. My girlfriend is on the fence about it.
    What about your babymama?
    That would be babymamas!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • While my wife is a chef, her specialty is more baking and pastry.  While she will not light the egg she will however cook just about anything on it.  Since we meet and even more so since she moved in with me 4 years ago I have only grown around the waist.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Wives cook?????
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

It took 6 months for me to convince the wife that I should buy a BGE.

Six months later she asked when we were getting another BGE.

About a year later I convinced her she should learn to light it.

Fast forward to today and Ginny cooks on our 4 BGE's as much if not more than I do....

We cook together at BGE store cooks and Eggfests 8-10x's a year.... 

:\">
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    vidalia1 said:

It took 6 months for me to convince the wife that I should buy a BGE.

Six months later she asked when we were getting another BGE.

About a year later I convinced her she should learn to light it.

Fast forward to today and Ginny cooks on our 4 BGE's as much if not more than I do....

We cook together at BGE store cooks and Eggfests 8-10x's a year.... 

:\">
     That is great.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    it's not just great, it's man great.
    Damnit
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • nolaegghead
    I know.  I can't believe I did that.  The mangrates gave me Tourette syndrome of the fingers.
    Nola, get to the doctor's office now! Mangrates can go from primary to tertiary quickly. That "itch down there" can go to full-blown neurological complications in the blink of an eye. It's like syphilis.
  • nolaegghead
    OMG! OMG! *c%#ksucker sh&t* OMG!...it's getting worse!
    Holy Mangrates! Someone call a mangrating ambulance!
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Although my wife is a caterer and can really cook, the egg is all mine.  Lately, she has put both the egg and me in a "time out" due to too many left-overs.  Fortunately, tonight she was in the mood for spatchcock chicken and the neighbor dropped off some lamb chops to add to it (we'll share the results).  They are both sitting in their respectful rubs waiting to be cooked.  yum!

My kids are interested, though, but still too young to start it.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • My wife almost hit my egg with a snowball today!  Anyone who has that kind of blatent disregard for the safety of a BGE will never cook on it!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I think my wife has turned stuff over  once or twice. Our daughter seems to have a bit more interest . As she is the chief pizza maker.Which we were to have tonight but we have no sink or counter in right now. Granite coming this afternoon.Then I have to redo plumbing.

Guess it's perch dinner tonight at the tavern.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

My wife makes reservations...........  (not true, but it sounds good!)

No egging for her, but she handles the cooking on the inside when i don't have time to egg

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I asked my wife if she had any interest and she said “Ummm, ya…right now there are days I can barely boil pasta. Once the boys are sitting there playing together sweetly instead of throwing soot all over the patio . . . then maybe I will consider attempting the almighty Egg.”

Boys will be boys which means it's probably all mine.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My wife won't touch the egg but she still uses our gasser. I wish I could break her of the gasser so I could give it away (motive to fill the space with another egg)  ;)
  • No.  Mine is simply an eater.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I asked my wife if she had any interest and she said “Ummm, ya…right now there are days I can barely boil pasta. Once the boys are sitting there playing together sweetly instead of throwing soot all over the patio . . . then maybe I will consider attempting the almighty Egg.”

Boys will be boys which means it's probably all mine.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    My girlfriend will prep., and make sides but wants nothing to do with fire.  At last year's Ozark Mountain Eggfest, she wrapped MOINKS like a pro... and gave them to me to cook.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    my wife is intimidated by the lighting of it or else she would be all in.  didn't help with when i came home with the MAP/pro torch after i fried my electric coil.  in due time, I will get her over it before we met she had never shot a gun, next month she is going to get her concealed to carry permit.  all my plan for another egg been eyeing a mini for a while now.