Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your partner/significant other use the Egg?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know we have male and female members, but I'm wondering if anyone "shares" the Egg with their partner?  If so, how does more Egging, you or them?

I've been talking to my fiance about learning the Egg and I think she is pretty interested, but only time will tell.

Frank

Comments

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    My lovely lady isn't interested in cooking at all... except when it hits the table.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    My wife bought it for me but has no interest in it other than what it puts on the table. She had no interest in our old Weber, either (she bought that for me, too). She does like to bake and uses the oven a lot. She leaves cooking on the BGE, or any grill, to me.   
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    My wife never goes near my BGE, but she likes the food that I cook on it 8-)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    My wife wants to but never dealt with lighting lump in the past.
    She has no problem cooking on it, but likes me to light it, and set it up.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Outdoor cook's are left to me...I do get "instructions" from time to time which I follow to the letter.  ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    She cooks on mine from time to time, but it's an uneasy feeling!!!  I was on vacation and my house setter used my Egg!!!!  I had no coal so he used a bunch of my pecan logs.....Kinda made me cringe a bit!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2012
    My wife cooked on our Viking but in all the smokers I've had she's never cooked on them but she did say if I light it she would give it a try . Other than that we prep the food together for the most part
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    edited June 2012

Ok First off...... IT IS MY EGG and no one else is "allowed" to touch it......... (can you hear me stomping my foot?)

My wife doesn't cook very much, I like eating too much. =))  Seriously though, she leaves most meals and plannign to me because I actually love cooking and creating meals as well as trying new things when it comes to food.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'm lucky in that Diana will fire up the egg for me to cook on before I get home from work if it's been a long day for me.  She will on occasion grill up the basic chicken, hamburgers, pork chops or brats.   Love those pork chops!   She's a real egghead.  I do 97% of the egg cooking but she will step up to cook on the egg if I can't get home in time.
    Cold beers and cheers! 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    I grew up cooking on charcoal grills & never cooked on anything else -- I fell in love with the BGE when I first saw it in 2003.  Since my husband's gas grill was disintegrating from the salt air, I convinced him that "he" needed to replace it with a BGE.  He cooked on it twice and struggled with it -- for years all he had to do was click a button.
    I took over with the help of all the forums I read and have been the only one cooking on it ever since.  
    \:D/
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Outdoor cook's are left to me...I do get "instructions" from time to time which I follow to the letter.  ;)
    I am fully in the above camp.  I even work the preps so she is not around to critique the clean-up...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    My GF wont touch it. She doesn't even want to learn how to start it up for when I am late to come and cook diner. It's sad really. 

Quebec - Canada
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I'm lucky in that Diana will fire up the egg for me to cook on before I get home from work if it's been a long day for me.  She will on occasion grill up the basic chicken, hamburgers, pork chops or brats.   Love those pork chops!   She's a real egghead.  I do 97% of the egg cooking but she will step up to cook on the egg if I can't get home in time.
    Cold beers and cheers! 
    Nice.  I'm working on getting my wife into this camp.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Yes, my hand joins me on every cook.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    The wife helps prep for the meals, but doesn't do any outdoor cooking.  She will suggest meals though.  My kids (14 yr old boy, 10 yr old girl) like helping cook... especially lighting the lump, stir frying, pizza making, searing, or anything else that is fun.

Interestingly, they are not around for cleaning out the egg, putting new lump in the egg, or any other maintenance activity.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    No, my wife shows no interest in cooking on my egg. She never has shown interest in cooking outside, and truthfully I cook 9 out of 10 meals in our house anyhow, egg or not.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Mrs. G does all the cooking. I just pretend its me so you guys will like me. ;)

First night, Mrs. G cooking up some creamed spinachimage

Mrs. G lighting the Egg

Mrs. G's King Ranch Chickenimage

Mrs. G's Turkey Tetrazinniimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    Wife is a mere observer and doesn't eat half of what comes out of it due to she does not eat red meat or pork.

My mother in law just spent a week with us and on day 5 while she was eating steak after previous meals of pulled pork, brats, and ribs, looks at my daughter and says "Your mother has no idea what she is missing."
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    My husband and i both wanted an egg and we both cook fairly evenly on it
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    I do most of the cooking, however my 11 year old did the last Brisket.  Start to finish it was great.  I didnt let him use the BBQ Guru as he needs to learn to cook without first.  He has asked for a Meduim for his Birthday/Christmas already.  This is a win/win. 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I make sure the charcoal is set up right and the ash cleaned out. I do the long and slow cooks on the large, but my husband and I split the quick, everyday cooking on the mini. He did a great steak in the past week and fantastic giant shrimp with basil and bacon. The prep work is mostly mine, though.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    My wife and I don't share Eggs, we each have our own Large.  Her's is much cleaner than mine
    :D

Mine is the work horse and does 100% of the BBQ and the day in/day out cooking.  She uses hers for baking and quick high temp cooks.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Nope.   She is very adept at refilling my drink - holding the pan as two handed pieces of meat go on and off.

She cooks inside.    I cook outside, with some amount of inside for certain dishes.

I never touch desserts - she makes the most absolute awesome Creme Brulee that I have ever had in my life.

Cookin in Texas
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I do all the cooking, I'm way to critical, it's all for the best.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    The egg thing was my "I Want" toy. The husband won't touch it. I like to cook and he likes to eat. Everybody is happy. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I am the outside cook. My wife takes care of the inside kitchen duties. She wouldn't know how to lit it, maintain temps, or clean it out. She lets me take care of it. When I get my second egg, she will probably be in the same camp she is right now. It works real good this way. And she does love the meals that come off the egg, thanks to a lot of recipes from you folks. Cheers
    Large, small, and a mini
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I do most of the cooking, however my 11 year old did the last Brisket.  Start to finish it was great.  I didnt let him use the BBQ Guru as he needs to learn to cook without first.  He has asked for a Meduim for his Birthday/Christmas already.  This is a win/win. 
    This is awesome.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    My wife comes out to the deck and says "How's your drink?"  That's why we are in our 44th year together.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    My wife does not do any outdoor cooking.  My daughter liked cooking on the gas, but not on my weber kettle or Egg.  I'm trying to get her to embrace charcoal, but the charcoal dirt/dust has an ick factor. 

I grew up with charcoal and refused to own gas for many years. Hopefully I'll get her to leave the dark side and go charcoal.  My boys are a lost cause. Maybe they'll wake up soon, but I fear that they will be cooking crappy frozen burgers on a gasser for lack of effort.  #-o
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.