Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which bourbon?

Options
2»

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options

Try Forty Creek.  It's a Canadian Blend.  Visited the distillery while at Niagara Falls On The Lake this past Summer.  tasty
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options

Goody Goody in the Colony, I have found them to beat everybody's prices. Might have to try the 1835. They have another Texas Bourbon in Goody called Rebecca something, dont remember.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rebecca Creek is ok. I'm not a big fan of "spirit whiskeys", though.

" 'Spirit Whiskey' as a combination of at least 5 percent whiskey and neutral spirit, i.e., vodka. " Usually done by a new distillery who hasn't been in business very long and doesn't have a lot of aged whiskey on hand. Seagram's Seven is kinda the same thing with 25% whiskey and 75% grain spirit. Ever since I heard that, I've kinda been staying away from "spirit whiskeys"

I found 40 creek to be too sweet for my tastes. I feel the same way about Crown Royal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    IrishDevl said:
    Put them all down and grab a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch
    That will be next time. Have to go out and buy it.

into (and it's almost gone - big sigh) 12 year old Aberlour double cask Highland single malt - very nice for "cheap" scotch. 
    I wouldn't put cheap I parentheses. My stuff is usually 10-20 more. I will need to give that a try.

I usually like Islay single malts (Caol Ila 18 or Lagavulin 16) but I have recently enjoyed Bushmills 16yo single malt which was amazingly good ($65 on Amazon). Found a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition which I might get into this weekend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking, your "scope of practice" involves excellent taste, good sir.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I love 40 creek. Not to spendy either. It's a good change of pace from my Pendelton.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Griffin said:

Rebecca Creek is ok. I'm not a big fan of "spirit whiskeys", though.

" 'Spirit Whiskey' as a combination of at least 5 percent whiskey and neutral spirit, i.e., vodka. " Usually done by a new distillery who hasn't been in business very long and doesn't have a lot of aged whiskey on hand. Seagram's Seven is kinda the same thing with 25% whiskey and 75% grain spirit. Ever since I heard that, I've kinda been staying away from "spirit whiskeys"

I found 40 creek to be too sweet for my tastes. I feel the same way about Crown Royal.

Cool, wont waste  my money on it then. I find that after drinking makers and weller, Crown tastes like water. Just remember its never too early for Early Times, LOL
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    What I learned about Forty Creek from the distillery tour was this;  They distill rye, barley, and corn separately, and age them separately for 6 to 10 years, then blend them together when they are right individually.  Then they are aged in used Sherry barrels for another 6 months before bottling.  That's why there is no "aged X years" on the label.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009