Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef Help

Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
I want to try to make some pulled beef this weekend. I've searched the forum and haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for.

1. What cut of beef to use?
2. Rub, marinade, inject?
3. Temps?
4. Any techniques or recipes you're willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013

Cook it JUST like you would Pork Butt except take it up to about 205-210 internal.  I rub it with my favorite rub right before I put it on at about 250 grid temp (270 or so dome temp). I don't marinate or inject.
    It goes by a lot of different names.  Chuck Roast is usually the name/in the name. I usually see the untrimmed shoulder referred to as "Clods". Otherwise, just ask the butcher for the beef equivalent of pork shoulder.

Here's a shot of a before and after of a 16lb clod I did a while back:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

1.  Chuck roast

2.  Two I consider "HOF" recipes

a)  http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

b)  http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2848-Pepper-Stout-Beef

3.  BBQ temps

4.  see #2

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I enjoyed my second pulled beef this past weekend.  I bought a 5# choice chuck roast from the local supermarket along with a 5# pork butt, as the two cook very similar.  I rubbed it with DP cow lick and injected with a mix of Allegro and beef broth.  I stuck it on the egg with some mesquite chunks and didn't touch it until the internal was at 160.  Then, I wrapped it in aluminum foil with come more Allegro/beef broth until the temp was about 205.  I checked it a few times and once it was probe tender, I pulled it, shredded it, and threw it into a Dutch oven along with some BBQ sauce and the liquid goodness from the foil for another hour, uncovered (like Clay Q's recipe calls for).  It was really good stuff and very moist.  One major thing I'd change is allow the liquid from the foil more time to separate (I think I left a lot of fat in there which turned into some major grease).  Also in the future, I may skip the Dutch oven step and just keep the pulled beef as is - I didn't see any huge added benefit of putting it back in the egg for another hour in the sauce.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    brianbala said:

Also in the future, I may skip the Dutch oven step and just keep the pulled beef as is - I didn't see any huge added benefit of putting it back in the egg for another hour in the sauce.

Couldn't agree more, why soften/ruin the bark, that's the best part!  If you want to put sauce on afterwards, great, then you get the benefit of the bark and some additional flavor (if sauce is your thing).
    Packerland, Wisconsin