Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Island Chicken with Tropical Salsa

Options
This was a last minute impulse cook. It was in the 50's today and I couldn't let an evening in the 50's in January pass without going out and grilling something. The recipe was from the Big Green Egg cookbook. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

The marinade used coconut milk, cilantro, minced jalapeño peppers, ground cinnamon & lime juice.

The boneless skinless chicken breasts go in the marinade and everything goes into the fridge for 2 hours.

The salsa used fresh mango, red,yellow & orange bell peppers, lime juice, onion, tomatoes, minced jalapeño peppers, honey, kosher salt & chili powder.

The ingredients for the salsa are all prepped & ready to mix.

The salsa ingredients are in a bowl & are ready to mix.

The finished salsa was extremely colorful. It turned out to be as tasty as it was colorful. The bowl gets covered with plastic wrap and is refrigerated until time to serve.

It's been 2 hours and the chicken is out of the fridge & out of the marinade. The BGE has been stabilized at 350 degrees & it is time to get cooking.

The chicken is on the Egg. The breasts were thick enough I could use my Maverick ET-732 remote read thermometer to keep track of the food temps.

The chicken is midway through it's 24 minute cook & has just been flipped.

The chicken was served with some chicken fried rice.

The salsa was the highlight of the meal. The chicken was great, but the salsa was outstanding.

This was a great meal. The salsa was about the best salsa I've ever had. The chicken stayed quite moist and you could definitely pick up the flavor of the marinade in the chicken, the coconut milk in particular. This was an easy and fun cook and it was so warm I was grilling without my jacket in January. It doesn't get a whole lot better than this.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Jim very nice cook man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I love spicy mango salsa.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Gorgeous!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Looks great Jim bookmarked
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@jfm0830 I love how your last minute cook requires 20 ingredients and 2 hours marination!!!  Last minute around my house is hot dogs with KD.

Seriously though - looks great and will definitely try when I'm going to be around the house or can prep the night before.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I've been thinking about giving that recipe a try for awhile now. Looks delicious!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Great looking cook @jfm0830.

Either that is one monster jalapeno, or those are some tiny bell peppers. Regardless, wonderful colors on that salsa. If its half as good as it looks, it must be outstanding.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SouthernSmoke
    Options
    That looks really good.. Think I am going to try that this weekend.  Thanks for the post
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals!

BigWader said:

@jfm0830 I love how your last minute cook requires 20 ingredients and 2 hours marination!!!  Last minute around my house is hot dogs with KD...

Well last minute also meant eating at 7:30 vs 6:00, so technically it was last minute. I delayed dinner to allow the marinade to happen.

Griffin said:

.......Either that is one monster jalapeno, or those are some tiny bell peppers. Regardless, wonderful colors on that salsa. If its half as good as it looks, it must be outstanding.

Funny I didn't even think anyone would notice. It was a little of both. The jap was larger than normal and since the quantity of of bell peppers was relatively small, I bought a package of 3 mini bell peppers and used all 3 colors instead of 2. So right on both counts.

@Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've been thinking about giving that recipe a try for awhile now. Looks delicious!!
    As I sad that was one of the best salsas I've had, the chicken was good too, but the salsa stole the show.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man, I would love to try this but I  am allergic to coconut. Any idea for substitutions? Good post.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I used to be very allergic to coconut myself and now can have it in small doses. I think i was right on the line, because something in there was giving me allergic symptoms. All I can say is you could definitely taste the coconut flavor in the finished chicken, so you can't just skip it. Perhaps someone here has a clever idea.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would suggest adding some imitation extract to heavy cream or condensed milk. Substitute almond milk or Cashew cream.

I find that I can use almond extract and coconut extract interchangeably with baking in recipes where the specific flavor is not necessary, it just an addition.

Imitation Coconut extract has no coconut, but it is not quite the same(obviously). It has a more concentrated flavor, so use it sparingly.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    use yogurt or buttermilk instead of coconut milk...It will change the flavor, but why not try? I think either would work very well with the flavors of the rest of the dish.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That sounds and looks great, one recipe that I will definitely have to try soon.  Nice cook!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks like another great cook! I'm always looking for ways to make some tasty chicken, I will try this soon for sure! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    My mouth is watering; better go and eat breakfast. Great post. Thanks.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle