Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Needed - Adjustable Rig

OziEgg
OziEgg Posts: 48
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
I just got my adjustable rig and set it up.

I put the spider legs down with the ceramic stone and the rig on top.

But the first two grids end up inside the bottom half of the egg! See photos.

How are you supposed to elevate them above the rim?

Or does it sit in there and you don't use the bottom two rungs (which makes no sense)?

I could be missing an internal ring or something in my egg? I have the one on the bottom with the hole cut out and the round one that goes above it. Is there another one that is supposed to sit on that one?

Any assistance appreciate (especially if there are photos...).

Cheers.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Note the lower are below the felt ( if I had felt). The lower are just for cooking closer to the lump or cooking several layers at the same time. After you cook a couple of times it will make sense. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Also, the first level is for the ceramic stone.  Look on the ceramic grill store website and it will tell you about the different levels.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• OziEgg
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for that.

I get what you are saying but if you follow this link (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/sliding-grids.html) and scroll to the bottom you will see he is cooking three layers.

Assuming I have set it up correctly is that done by pulling the whole thing out from time to time and rotating the grids?

I read somewhere that an advantage of the set up is that it sits above the felt line so you can easily throw in more charcoal?

I must be confused...

And I am definitely struggling!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    If you use the spider/stone as a heat deflector while using the Adjustable Rig (Which is the way it was designed), the spider legs go UP.  The stone is very close to the lump.  You can (and I do) use the spider/stone with the legs down for holding a wok or cooking pizza (with another stone on top of the AR).  You cannot use the lower level of the AR in this configuration.  You can also use the spider (legs up) to hold a small cast iron grid for searing steaks without having to have as big a fire as you would need if doing it at the normal level.  I like to put the CI grid low on the spider, the stone (round or oval) on the lower level of the AR and smoke steaks or a tri-tip on the top level, then pull the AR and stone and drop the steaks on the cast iron for half a minute per side.  (Wear gloves!)  The CI will already be hot and leave wide black grill marks. 
  • OziEgg
    edited January 2013
    Hey Mickey, Tom said that it is a treat to eat chicken cooked high in the dome. In your photos I see you have done so. Does it make a big difference?

Also, how come you don't have felt? I thought it was a necessity to get a good seal.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013

Yes, let the dome work for you.

Also you can put the ceramic stone on the spider or any level of the adj rig to become indirect.

For me indirect cooks:

platesetter 0 to 3 % (see no reason for it and waste of money (IMO)...

top of spider: 30%

Lower level of adj rig: 42%

one under top of adr rig: 25%

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@OziEgg - if you read carefully through the part about cooking on 3 layers, Tom says "You need a work area outside the cooker" and goes on to talk about how to remove a loaded rig and how to rotate the food once its outside of the Egg.

As for the felt (gasket), most people end up burning them up. Some replace them and some go without. There isn't much left of mine, if any.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey

As to the felt:

No it is not necessary to have felt. I bet 40+% of Eggs do not have felt. I have not had it on my Large or Mini is 3 years and NO problems with seal for smoking or cutting out fire.

I did not pull off my felt, 90+% of eggs it burns off.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Sorry to butt into your thread OziEgg but I was just wondering about something.I notice alot of the folks here get the R&B oval combo AR for ribs and brisket cooks but they also get a spider and smaller (13") stone as well.Why would you need two indirect stones,couldn't the oval stone do it all?

Usually a smaller 13" stone and larger 13 by 17"oval stone is ordered together with the spider? Maybe it Is for pizza, if so I would want a larger stone than a 13" stone or is it because it's overkill to use the oval stone for a few chicken breast or steaks and are there air flow issues when using a larger oval stone??

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • OziEgg
    Thanks everyone. All sorted now.

Canman, as you can tell I am now expert but I brought both stones. I will use the oval one when I need the extra protection as sometimes the round one will leave ends of ribs exposed.
  • CANMAN1976
    Gottcha oziegg,im a newby too and all the woo,spider and rig talk can get a bit confusing!!
    Good luck with the new set-up
    =((

• Mickey
    edited January 2013

@Canman1976 You use the 13" stone on the spider or lower adj rig for one thing and the oval stone for another (ribs, couple of chickens, etc). Do you need both: NO,  but I have both and use one or the other at different times.

Canman I hope to come see you one day from the middle of  Texas. Sure sounds nice in your part of the world.

• CANMAN1976
    Hey Mickey...hopefully someday you can get to NL... its a great place.Lots of friendly people and beautiful scenery.Gros Morne national park is a must visit!!

:-*

• Ozi, one call to Tom and he will answer all your questions.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!