Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Prime Rib Cook (Pic Heavy)

I cooked my first Prime Rib ever today in the LBGE.  The roast was a 4.5 lb choice bone in standing rib roast.  First, I made a paste out of salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic and onion powder to use as a rub.  Next, I got the BGE to a steady 250 indirect without using any wood for smoke (I didn't want to use too much and ruin the flavor).  I also put in a drip pan with three cups of beef stock, a sprig of rosemary and a couple cloves of garlic.  I let the roast cook for about two hours, until the IT read about 120 degrees.  Then I cranked up the BGE to about 550 degrees and took the plate setter out to do a reverse sear on each side for about a minute.  The IT ended up being about 129-130 after resting for 20 minutes or so. 

While the roast was cooking, I prepared twice baked potatoes and green beans with garlic, onion and bell peppers all cooked in bacon fat.  After the roast finished and was resting, I strained the drippings from the drip pan and made an au jus with onions and mushrooms.  I carved the bone off of the meat and served sliced with the au jus and horseradish cream sauce and a bigggggg cold glass of Milo's sweet tea.  Too good.  Couldn't have turned out better!!  Thanks for all of your ideas!  As you can see, my dog even tried to get in on the action.....
Hunter - LBGE
Oxford, MS

Comments