Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Dizzy Pig the Best?

2»

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    billyray said:
    AleBrewer said:
    I enjoy making my own rubs as well.....but I work on the road, and only get home every few weeks for a short period of time. I'd rather spend that time cooking end enjoying my time with the wife and dogs instead of making rubs. I am a big fan of DP rubs, also like the John Henry brisket rub, and have a few others....can't remember offhand.

The last rub I made was a coffee, cocoa, and chipotle rub that was based on Mickey's coffee rub....the recipe is floating around here somewhere.

DP's cowlick is awesome on a ribeye!

I don't know if this is the coffee, cocoa rub you were refering too, but this is my version.

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    • 4 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Yep....that's the one! Good stuff.....I just changed it a bit, adding some chipotle and something else that I cannot remember right now.....sucks getting old!
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    Thanks everyone.

Someone mentioned their customer service.

They just emailed me and said that they found a cheaper shipping rate and refunded me $15.00.

That's great customer service.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    OziEgg said:
    Thanks everyone. Someone mentioned their customer service. They just emailed me and said that they found a cheaper shipping rate and refunded me $15.00. That's great customer service.
    They are awesome people. No wonder they are eggheads too.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    DP Co. are marketing well in this community.  I really like their rubs - they have a little je ne sais quoi that makes them different from many other more common (find them at your grocery) rubs out there.  I think I detect some less used spices in their mixes - it's really an aromatic difference to me.  Since they don't overload their rubs with salt and sugar, you get more flavor in the same volume of rub.  Everyone has salt and sugar to augment the rub if they want more of that.  In whole, I'm pleased I bought their line-up a while back. 

I still make my own rubs, but use the DP when I'm feeling lazy.
    As you can see one thing that most all of us "eggers" have in abundance is opinions!!!!

Dizzy Pig products are great.

Many other brands are great.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Duganboy said:
    As you can see one thing that most all of us "eggers" have in abundance is opinions!!!!

Dizzy Pig products are great.

Many other brands are great.
    What we lack in knowledge we more than make up for in opinion!  :D  Geaux KY
    Atz rite @nolaegghead !!!!

Sending you a pm for some advice.
  • I like DP products.  Cowlick and Swamp Venom are my favorites.  You can get some decent rubs from Penderys.comas well .  They are in Fort Worth Texas.  They specialize in Chiles but do rubs as well and their products are as fresh as DP products. B-)
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Never been attracted to canned rubs. Have always just made my own with very few exceptions. For me it is a matter of economics. When I do ribs I use a lot of rub. If I used the stuff I see on the counter at BBQ stores and elsewhere it would cost a fortune. While I know there are many fans of DP here, and I don't for a minute disparage the quality of DP, making your own is really the way to go.

Most of all though, mixing your own rub (and sauce) is part of the overall ritual. When you present your product to family and friends it truly is all your own.  
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Until I visited Dizzy Pig last year and bought a sample pack, I had always made my own.  After trying them, I went back for more.  I use salt-free Dizzy Dust on pork butts and really like Swamp Venom on chicken and pork.  Never added anything to steak before, but I am a convert to Raising the Steaks.  Still have a couple I have not yet tried.  May have additional reports after this weekend, which promises to be terrific weather for barbecuing in Northern Virginia this weekend.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • I really enjoy the DP products, and I have found the customer service to be very good as well. They consistently ship the same day I order, and the variety of styles and flavors give me a lot of flexibility when I open the cabinet to pick something to cook with!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    bboulier said:

Until I visited Dizzy Pig last year and bought a sample pack, I had always made my own.  After trying them, I went back for more.  I use salt-free Dizzy Dust on pork butts and really like Swamp Venom on chicken and pork.  Never added anything to steak before, but I am a convert to Raising the Steaks.  Still have a couple I have not yet tried.  May have additional reports after this weekend, which promises to be terrific weather for barbecuing in Northern Virginia this weekend.

Where are you at in NOVA?

I need to make a trip down your way to hit DP up.