Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Dizzy Pig the Best?

Everyone seems to talk up Dizzy Pig rubs. I have brought a few rubs from the US (Bad Byron and the Lotta Bull are ones come to mind).

I couldn't make up my mind so I got the 12 pack. Cost was $99 but postage was almost as much! That's the price you pay for being an Egg Fanatic Down Under.

I am interested to know how you guys rate Dizzy Pig against others.

Comments

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I'm a fan of making my own. No issue with any of the store bought ones other than price. I buy my spices bulk and can then tweak the heat, sweetness, etc for my family. Lots of good places to buy spices, but we have been buying from Atlantic Spice. My folks live near them, so when I visit, I stock up to avoid the shipping costs.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I really enjoy Dizzy Pig. I love the flavor profiles and the freshness of the product. My favorite so far is swamp venom.
  • I've never tried Dizzy Pig rubs. I use Tasty Licks rubs from Fred's Music & BBQ
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I love the different flavors they offer.  I also paid the shipping on my first order, but contacted my local Egg dealer and got him to start carrying DP!  He said they were great to work with, and saves me time when I forget to order in a timely manner.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I have been really impressed with John Henry's rubs --especially the chicken tickler and pecan rub. 
    I wouldn't say that I like one over the other, but I would definitely give them a try!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've gone a couple of rub buying binges. And Asian markets are a real test of self control, when I look at all the masalas, and curries, etc. My experience has been that the DP line, as a whole, is remarkable for both flavor characteristics and freshness. The mixes are well balanced, and work for lots of different foods, not just BBQ.

Note a recent thread about using DP in scrambled eggs. DP Ragin' River is pretty much a standard in eggs for me. Tsunami Spin is great in re-fried rice, lo-mien, etc.  Meatloaf w. Red-Ete Express is exceptional, IMO.

While I do find all the DP stuff top tier, I do think their Raisin' the Steaks is the best mix I've had for steak.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

I love the dizzy pig line of products but for some reason i've shyed away from the actual que rubs they produce. I like the fine ground rubs from oakridge for the brisket, butt/shoulder, and ribs.

Both of dizzy pig steak rubs are incredible. Swamp venom is a favorite. I even like the redeye, which has the coffee (a little goes a long way)

• Here is a post I made about rubs/sauces after several years of using a huge variety of different makers. I love trying new rubs/sauces. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1230088/#Comment_1230088
  • In my opinion, Dizzy Dust (the standard pork rub) is good, but not necessarily better than what one could make at home if you were to buy fresh spices (but better than most store-bought rubs).  On the other hand, the others I have tried (Tsunami Spin, Raging River, Cow Lick) were just outstanding.  I wanted a new rub for pork shoulder, and I'm not good at following directions.  So I combined a fish rub (RR, the salt-free version) and a beef rub (CL).  The mapley-sweetness of RR + the kick from CL = bark that tasted like smokey savory candied bacon.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I love Red Eye Express and Raging River. They are amazing and that has nothing to do with marketing.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I don't know if it is the best but it is good. My favorite is one that I prepare from a recipe I found years ago. But I am lazy. So Dizzy pig has a good variety for use in different kinds of food. The Bombay Curry is very good on any kind of chicken. They have enough variety that everyone seems to have a favorite so I think they do a good job on variety, quality, and packaging.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If I could only buy one Dizzy product it would be Pineapple Head.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I like John Henry rubs the best with Dizzy Pig a close second.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Read @chrisnjenn 's post. He gave a great review. I really enjoy Oakridge as well. I purchased the poultry brine, death dust, and Competition rub based on his review. The rubs are fantastic. They also had the nice touch of having them signed with the mixing date written on them.

I have yet to try Simply Marvelous, but I plan on it. Especially now that they offer free shipping over $40.

Like @jeroldharter said, I am lazy too. I would prefer to make my own rub and do for special occasions. For everyday use, I love using the pre-packaged rubs for ease of use. I feel like none of the ones mentioned sacrifices flavor. That's why I love Dizzy Pig. They have a fantastic selection and are local for me. I can get it readily without worrying about shipping.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2013
    Dizzy Pig does make some very good rubs.  But I would not discount Oakridge BBQ http://www.oakridgebbq.com/   or John Henry's http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/

Dizzy Pig, Oakridge and John Henry's are the rubs I use the most.  I just wish Home BBQ.com would get their act together and get back to selling their rubs.  I used them a lot until they stopped selling rubs for some reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I like Dizzy Pig, Oakridge and Texas BBQ Rub. The new line of Egg label rubs are made by DP. Different names, but I'm quessing they'll be the same as some of the DP brand rubs. We haven't got them in yet, but when we do, I'll compare to see if that's true.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • What no shout out to CLuck and Squeal???
  • I really enjoy Dizzy Pig products.  They arrive fresh and fast each time I order.  Plus their staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Next I am ordering John Henry rubs to compare for myself.
  • Eggcelsior
    I wish I could try John Henry's rubs. The shipping is outrageous, though.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I always have Dizzy Pig, Red Eye Express and Swamp Venom on hand.

Also have a pint shaker of Butt Rub to use as well.  My family is getting addicted.  They're putting these rubs on everything.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I have tried a few DP rubs but have not been overly impressed. Most rubs have too much salt in them for my taste, but I am interested in trying DP's low salt rubs at some point.

My current favs are the Simply Marvelous rubs. I ordered the sampler pack some time ago and and it has been some of the best money I've spent on bbq yet. Except for the Season All, none are too salty for me. John Henry's rubs are easily available around here, so I want to try them the next time I need to stock up on rubs

My all time favorite though is still a simple rub of salt, cumin, and cayenne. Very simple and basic, but it hits all the right spots.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I'm not a big fan of rubs. Used to be the longer I've used my BGE, it seems the simpler I like things. I generally just do some salt and pepper, a little chayenne, maybe some brown sugar, and that's just about it. No big deal.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Almost forgot - Plowboys Yardbird is some of the best stuff you can put on chicken. The bovine bold works for both beef and pork. I like their Jerk rub too. Should be available at Bass  Pro Shops, so you don't have to pay for shipping if you have one nearby.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I enjoy making my own rubs as well.....but I work on the road, and only get home every few weeks for a short period of time. I'd rather spend that time cooking end enjoying my time with the wife and dogs instead of making rubs. I am a big fan of DP rubs, also like the John Henry brisket rub, and have a few others....can't remember offhand.

The last rub I made was a coffee, cocoa, and chipotle rub that was based on Mickey's coffee rub....the recipe is floating around here somewhere.

DP's cowlick is awesome on a ribeye!
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

I have tried a few DP rubs but have not been overly impressed. Most rubs have too much salt in them for my taste, but I am interested in trying DP's low salt rubs at some point.

My current favs are the Simply Marvelous rubs. I ordered the sampler pack some time ago and and it has been some of the best money I've spent on bbq yet. Except for the Season All, none are too salty for me. John Henry's rubs are easily available around here, so I want to try them the next time I need to stock up on rubs

My all time favorite though is still a simple rub of salt, cumin, and cayenne. Very simple and basic, but it hits all the right spots.

That's interesting. One of DP's apparent advantages is the lower amount of salt compared to other ingredients in relation to other rubs. I will need to give simply marvelous a try.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    AleBrewer said:
    I enjoy making my own rubs as well.....but I work on the road, and only get home every few weeks for a short period of time. I'd rather spend that time cooking end enjoying my time with the wife and dogs instead of making rubs. I am a big fan of DP rubs, also like the John Henry brisket rub, and have a few others....can't remember offhand.

The last rub I made was a coffee, cocoa, and chipotle rub that was based on Mickey's coffee rub....the recipe is floating around here somewhere.

DP's cowlick is awesome on a ribeye!

I don't know if this is the coffee, cocoa rub you were refering too, but this is my version.

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    • 4 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    edited January 2013
    @chrisnjenn. Awesome list and reviews. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I will be trying your recommendations.
    Here is a post I made about rubs/sauces after several years of using a huge variety of different makers. I love trying new rubs/sauces. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1230088/#Comment_1230088

• DP is great but there are so many good ones out there. It's really so subjective but good ingredients is a great start to a good rub. DP uses great ingredients so you can't go wrong. As far as being the best...........that's for you to decide. You have some serious skin in the game with the freight won under so I bet they taste pretty good to you!

The post above is an awesome resource.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Dizzy Pig makes some very good rubs. Love their Pineapple Head, Raging River, and Tsunami Spin. Dizzy Dust is my standard go-to rub for pork butts.

John Henry also makes some nice rubs. Really like his Pecan on ribs.

Tasty Licks Salmon rub is very good.

Just got a chance to try Plowboys Yardbird and liked it a lot too.

I try my hand and making my own rubs when I have times, but I have yet to consistently turn out something better than what I can buy. It's still fun experimenting though.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.