Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Time No Help

Whats up guys...been a while!  My (W)(L)ife and kids are keeping pretty busy.  I have still had time to cook on the egg, just not post to the forums.  So what I am going to do is post some of my recent cooks and ask for a bit of help.  My help that I need is I am kind of out of ideas of what to cook (non BBQ) for some friends coming over Saturday night.  They have never had any BGE goodness but they have seen my pics and they are super excited.  I would like to do something nice but not BBQ.  Any thoughts?

*To the Pictures*

First picture is of my ham I did for Thanksgiving.  I ended up drinking a little too much at the golf course the day I cooked it and didn't get any pictures of the ham being cooked...oh well.

The next few pictures are of 5 7lbs rib roasts I did for our company's Christmas lunch (I snuck a little beer in there as well :))

Next two pictures...I finally got my TV hung outside.  Still have to get the all my wiring hidden, which I will leave up to the electrician!

Finally installed my fire pit.  I spend most of my evenings out here after the cook...

Next picture, I really wanted to smoke the Zebra on the egg but I didn't think it would fit in the car

Last picture...the first of hopefully no more to come.  EPIC FAIL on a pizzas the other night.  Super burnt crust but great flavor.  I guess it happens to all of us!

I hope you all had an AWESOME Thanksgiving, Christmas, and end of the year.  Here's to an even better 2013!

Ron
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Man, love the TV on the outside. Thanks for all of your help in my decision to go with the BGE. I've been doing small cooks learning to control the temp...but my wife and some dinner friends have loved everything that has come off of it. 

My choice for non-bbq would be smoked salmon...can't go wrong there if they like fish. 

Erb
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Ron,

Those are some great looking pics!  Love the setup on your deck.  I think that's the most rib roast I have seen cooking at once. 

As far as ideas of things to cook that aren't bbq- my first thought was actually rib roast.  Judging by the pictures- it appears you got that down pat!   You could do a standing rib roast (with bones) if you are looking to change it up a little.  Another suggestion is rack of pork.  They had these at Costco during the holidays and they were really good.  I think these may have been a December only thing at Costco...not sure how hard they are to come by during non-holidays. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice setup.  Good looking cooks as well.

That deck would be ground zero for everything I did.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Nice.. I am envious of the TV, but I dont trust my neighborhood enough to get one.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Leg of Lamb is good and pretty easy. 

You could do cornish game hens.  They are pretty easy and make for a good presentation.

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    My vote is for a fatty. I've done a couple so far and everyone has been impressed with it.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @erblove glad to see you made it over here and are enjoying the BGE!

I have chosen to do the rack of pork because my Costco did still have them. Rack of lamb was a close second.

Any suggestions on how to cool the rack of pork? How would you serve it as well?

Thanks for the comments on my cooks and the deck. Been working hard on both! Wish I could invite everyone over to enjoy it with me.

@hashmaker what is a fatty?

Ron
    Anderson, SC

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    How I do it...

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
    1 lb ground pork
    1 1/2 lbs bacon
    1 onion
    3 celery stalks
    1 bell pepper(color optional)
    2 garlic cloves
    2 carrots
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 cup ketchup

Finely dice the onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots and garlic.
    Sauté in butter til soft then set aside to cool.

Make your bacon weave.

Put the beef in a big bowl and mix all the ingredients.

Spread the beef evenly over the bacon weave then spread the pork evenly over the beef.

You can be as creative as you want with stuffing ingredients. I usually use baby spinach leaves and provolone.

Layer your stuffing ingredients on the pork and roll it up. Make sure your sides and bottom are sealed well so the cheese doesn't ooze out.

I usually throw a couple of chunks of hickory on the fire and cook at 350 indirect til it's done.

This is only my version. There are many variations, some with sausage, different stuffings and some with BBQ sauce.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    For the Rack O' Swine, this is how I did mine:

In these pics I served with mashed potatoes and turnip greens.  We did another pair of these for a holiday dinner and we served with baked apples and I thought that complimented the meal quite well.  My wife also made "grits and greens", which compliments any meal! 

I just slice between the bones to serve.  This makes a pretty large bone-in chop.  If someone wants a smaller serving it's easy to cut the loin from the rib (just leave a little extra loin meat on the rib) and you can get multiple servings from one slice.  If you have some serious carnivores, the end pieces are often nice and meaty! 

A couple of other recipes I had bookmarked when I was planning this:

Haven't tried either one...but  they both sounded good.  I really wanted to incorporate maple-bourbon so I just sort of put together a recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice cooks. In that second to last picture: is that Village Idiot and Travis you are talking tooooooo........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Mickey, if I am catching your drift...

Shouldn't he be talking to their rear ends?
  • Mmmmmm... Smoked zebra...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC