Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Root beer pork loin?

Anyone ever tried a pork loin soaked in root beer over night.... My friend told me to try it and sprinkle brown sugar on it befor I put it on the grill.... Anyone ever done this and how long what temp?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've done a ham marinated in Dr. Pepper, it was quite good.  This sounds interesting too!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I'm trying this as we speak.
    I will let you know how it turns out.
  • Holy cow I forgot to come back with the results.
    They were incredible. I did use a little to much smoke, but it actually helped with the left overs.
    I used a can of A&W Rootbeer and soaked the Porkloin for about 8hrs. I also used some butt rub and Johnnys seasoning salt to coat the loin just before laying it on the grill.
    I seared the loin direct at about 500* turning once, then added the plate setter(legs up)and brought the heat down to 225* and smoked it with mesquite and applewood chips until I got the proper internal temp.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

My mother-in-law's specialty - Rum & Coke Ribs.  Braised and finished on the grill... often thought of taking her recipe to the egg level and see what results.

Her marinade is more than just cola though - lots of cinnamon, soy sauce, molasses, garlic, ginger, and a bunch of other stuff - probably tastes like Root Beer!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    My sister does an awesome dr pepper butt she calls the "hot proctologist". I'll try and hit her up for the recipe.