Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ

Is the digi q worth the investment. Been contemplating getting one but wanted some opinions first. I did a ten hour cook without any problems holding the temperature so i dont anticipate doing cooks much longer than that.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm a long time egger but have just had a DigiQ for a few months. I love the Digi and most owners will tell you the same thing. Consider it a luxury. If I had it to do over again, I would buy it again. Also, I think it is very important to learn how to manually control the temp and it appears that you have mastered this important step
  • Lots of threads on this. I have one and love it. I think it is one of those things you can do without, but once you get it you find it indispensible and wonder why you waited so long to get it. 

It is nice to go to bed and then wake up in the morning knowing that the temp on a huge load of meat has not budged. Pre-DigiQ I would have been up checking and worrying.
  • This is a split 50/50 on forum prolly. It's always tempting but I've ran my egg all day wherever I want it and dialed in. Egg is rock solid. I'd get one for doing over nighters or if I was gonna leave the egg alone whole doing a low and slow.

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    This is a split 50/50 on forum prolly. It's always tempting but I've ran my egg all day wherever I want it and dialed in. Egg is rock solid. I'd get one for doing over nighters or if I was gonna leave the egg alone whole doing a low and slow.
    Not a 50/50 split among folks who actually have them.  The people who own a controller will be 95% in favor.  Most of the dissenting comments are people who don't own them, tell us that do own them that we don't need the. :D
  • Dnl
    Dnl Posts: 12
    Just got my DigiQ before Christmas and love it! I agree,I think it's good to learn how to manually control temps but once you have that down pat the addition of a DigiQ is a lot of fun. Cooked two 8lb pork shoulders last weekend for 17 hours and the temp never varied by more than 15 degrees for any length of time.
  • My cook was a 8lb butt that I put on @8 p.m.- 6 a.m. And only got up once to check the temp. I guess when I get some extra cash ill look into getting one.
  • Is the digi q worth the investment. Been contemplating getting one but wanted some opinions first. I did a ten hour cook without any problems holding the temperature so i dont anticipate doing cooks much longer than that.
    were you able to set it and not touch it for the whole ten hours? or did you have to make adjustments during the cook?
    Brandon, MS
  • I didn't touch it. When I went to bed it was @220 I got up 7 hours later it was @250. And then @6 it it was still @250. So I thought that was pretty good. Just a lot of money to spend especially since I government decided they needed a raise.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited January 2013
    I didn't touch it. When I went to bed it was @220 I got up 7 hours later it was @250. And then @6 it it was still @250. So I thought that was pretty good. Just a lot of money to spend especially since I government decided they needed a raise.
    that's pretty darn good...don't sound like you need one. :-)
    Brandon, MS
  • It only took one time for the egg to drop to 180 on a pork butt in the middle of the night for me to decide I needed the DigiQ. Had to leave for the Iron Bowl empty handed and abandon the butt.
    So very sad...
    Only use it for overnighters, but I sleep so good now when I do
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Duganboy said:

This is a split 50/50 on forum prolly. It's always tempting but I've ran my egg all day wherever I want it and dialed in. Egg is rock solid. I'd get one for doing over nighters or if I was gonna leave the egg alone whole doing a low and slow.

Not a 50/50 split among folks who actually have them.  The people who own a controller will be 95% in favor.  Most of the dissenting comments are people who don't own them, tell us that do own them that we don't need the. :D

Lol. Well there would for sure be a different opinion from those with them from those without them. I just mean I can set my egg and it'll lock in and be rock solid. Part of what I love about smoking is being with it and tending to it. Even tho with the egg there isn't much of that at all.

But I do see the need for a controller. I just see it is somethig you can egg without. I'll prolly get one one day soon an enjoy the heck out of it.

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The digiq keeps my XLs within a degree or two on 20 plus hour cooks.  I only use it for low and slow but I have never worried about the temp in rain, ice, or wind.  By holding the exact temp, you have a mucn better guesstimate on when the big old hunk of meat will be close to thermapen checking time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    I will never ever regret buying my digiQ! I now have two eggs and now I want the cyberQ!

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• It works well for low and slow but also for temps up to 350. It is not for high heat though.
  • How durable are the probes on the digiQ? I just ordered yet another food probe for the Maverick 732.  Honestly, the food probe failure rate is bad on that unit.   I don't have a problem with the cooker temp.  I put that probe in a block of wood.  But, the food probe...yikes.  And I never cook over 300.

Whatever stoker/controller unit I buy has got to better in that regard.

Thanks.
  • I have the "Party Q" and it works great for overnighters. Highly recommended!