Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Wood gift

Came home from work yesterday and there was about 12 peach logs as thick as my arm in my carport. A friend gave them to me because he knows how much I egg. Going to chop them into chunks this wekeend. Anyone want to share what they smoke with peach? Not sure how long it has been cut into logs. Does it need to season for a while?

Thanks in advance.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215

Love smoking with peach wood.  Like all smoking wood it needs to be seasoned before you use it.  If it was cut over 6 months ago it should be ready to go if they are no bigger around than your arm,... unless you are on steroids and have really huge arms.  If it seems sort of light in weight in comparison to its size it should be ready.  You could try just burning a chunk and see how much it smokes.  If it puts out a lot of white smoke it is probably still green.  Peach is pretty mild in comparison to hickory or oak.  I use it mainly for pork or chicken.  Nice score!

Living Large and XL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    lilwooty said:

Love smoking with peach wood.  Like all smoking wood it needs to be seasoned before you use it.  If it was cut over 6 months ago it should be ready to go if they are no bigger around than your arm,... unless you are on steroids and have really huge arms.  If it seems sort of light in weight in comparison to its size it should be ready.  You could try just burning a chunk and see how much it smokes.  If it puts out a lot of white smoke it is probably still green.  Peach is pretty mild in comparison to hickory or oak.  I use it mainly for pork or chicken.  Nice score!

Thanks. Yeah that is what I was thinking was to cut it up and start a fire with it to see what kind of smoke it produces. Should I just go fist size "logs". They are whole logs, not split, but look too thin to split. Thoughts on how I should portion it out?
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I prefer my smoking wood to be in fist sized chunks or even a little smaller.  Never was a fan of chips.  I use my chop saw to cut logs like you have into discs about 2 inches thick or so.  If the logs are say 5 inches in diameter or more, I will split them first.   I toss in a couple when the hardwood charcoal is good and hot and I am good to go.  Let us know what you think of the peach wood.

Living Large and XL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Will do. I am planning to give it a shot this weekend. I like the disc idea.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Peach is awesome for smoking just about anything.....really. I love it for ribs, chicken...you name it.

I scored a bunch from a local orchard earlier this year. I also cut into discs about 2" thick. I have a couple buckest full of those, and split them with an axe when I want to use them....no effort at all to split them.

I use a chainsaw to slice the logs up though....I used to use a cheapo miter saw, but a piece got jammed and broke the fence.....and I'm not going to risk using my new Makita slider for cutting up smoking wood. But...the broken fence was a reason to upgrade!
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I used peach for ABTs last night and they turned out great.  Just the right amount of smokey flavor.  Not too powerful but you cant miss it when you heat up the food.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • I use peach wood on anything pork or chicken mostly.  It's my most used.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can burn it green if it makes good smelling smoke.  If you use a chain saw, drain out the chain oil and replace with vegetable oil.  That chain oil can have high sulfur content.
    Good point Nola.....I used some canola oil when I cut up my smoking wood. Doesn't take much to cut up a few small logs.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    peach is a good all-around wood when you don't want a heavy smoke flavor like mesquite or hickory.  I use it frequently.  I've used it with salmon filets too; just don't go overboard on fish.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As stated above when I buy peach I get it green and seasoned. I don't think you have to season peach and it works well both ways for everything.