Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cashew Chicken on the Mini

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
There's been interest lately on the Mini, and specifically, how much can you cook.

So, I cooked a full recipe of Cashew Chicken tonight and it worked out well.  It did fill the wok a bit higher than I like, but the dish turned out pretty good.

First, stir fry the chicken until almost done.  Dump it and set aside.

Put the onion, bell pepper, cashew nuts, and ginger slices in and stir fry them until you can smell the aroma.

Add the chicken back in and add the sauce.  Cook until done.

Put it on a plate to get it out of the bone chilling cold (65 degrees)

Plate it with fried rice.

OK, OK.  The plated picture is from one of my previous cooks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• WowWeeeee!  <:-P
    I don't care when that picture was taken, I'm stealing it and showing it/you off (if that's ok, of course?!)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Sure, Kristi.  Anything for you !   :x

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Wow that looks so good!  I was hoping for some Wok accessories for Christmas but it didn't happen.  Guess I am going to have to go buy me some instead.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Nice cook and that plated picture is outstanding!! I love the soft shadows.

I will ignore your bone chilling crack. I can't believe I was able to use my wok on a grill with the lid open at 23 degrees and as far as the Egg was concerned it mays as well have been 65 degrees.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • V I - great looking cook. Have had favorable results with my wok on the large. Do you use a smaller wok or does a "normal size" walk work. Whatever normal is! Sorry cant attach photo on iPad.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • V I - great looking cook. Have had favorable results with my wok on the large. Do you use a smaller wok or does a "normal size" walk work. Whatever normal is! Sorry cant attach photo on iPad.
    EF,
    Actually, I like woking on the Large with my 16" wok.  More working room in the wok and the fire gets hotter too.  I love my Mini, but I think most of my stir frys in the future will be on the Large.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jfm0830 said:

I will ignore your bone chilling crack. I can't believe I was able to use my wok on a grill with the lid open at 23 degrees and as far as the Egg was concerned it mays as well have been 65 degrees.

Jim
    Jim,
    Just bide your time.  You'll have plenty of chances to get back at me in August, when it's 105° here at 7:00pm and the humidity is 90%.  Hot stir frying is not too fun then.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Snip...
    Jim,
    Just bide your time.  You'll have plenty of chances to get back at me in August, when it's 105° here at 7:00pm and the humidity is 90%.  Hot stir frying is not too fun then.  
    Maybe maybe not. I have no problems dealing with the cold. You just add more layers of clothing. I don't tolerate the heat very well myself. So your 105/90 may not bother you as much as my 95/80 bothers me.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Good looking cook @Village_Idiot. You reminded me I need to bust out my MINI Wok.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    Good looking cook @Village_Idiot. You reminded me I need to bust out my MINI Wok.
    Sorry about the bell pepper, Grif.  If I'd known you were going to look at the thread, I would have left them out.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited January 2013
    Funny that you remembered that. It's ok, I'll jsut do my cook without.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Jim,
    Just bide your time. You'll have plenty of chances to get back at me in August, when it's 105° here at 7:00pm and the humidity is 90%. Hot stir frying is not too fun then.
    We can all pray that no more pictures of Gary woking naked get posted again.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

VI I must add, OUTSTANDING once more cook and pictures.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

We can all pray that no more pictures of Gary woking naked get posted again.
    I'm saving that for Salado.  At least the "men" in kilts will like it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Nice looking meal! I've neglected my wok recently. I need to break it out again.
  • V I , fpmanybthanks for the tip. Will use the large for stir fry Elmer Fudd.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini