Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good....I am a convert!

2»

Comments

• "Dance with the one who brung you".  

I started out with RO, got one bag of WGWW and didn't like it, so I've continued with RO.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I am

Lit, appreciate the feedback (confirmation) on the small and mini. I picked up a mini over the holidays and was telling a fellow egger (converted neighbor) that I was contemplating maybe BGE charcoal for the mini vs Wicked Good. What kind of luck (if any) have you had with low and slow on the mini?

Thanks

You will need to get the woo and the 8" pizza stones off amazon to go indirect but the mini works fine for low and slows. I usually do more of a turbo cook for my shoulders on the mini around 300 or so but I have done a 4.5 pound shoulder before with no issues.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013
    "Dance with the one who brung you".  

I started out with RO, got one bag of WGWW and didn't like it, so I've continued with RO.  

Damn, the world is ending as I must agree with Gary (over and above the DKR reference). I as well (and thought I was the only member of this forum) was not impressed with WGWW. I have given my last two bags to Travis. Ozark Oak and Royal Oak work fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    My Eggsperiance with Cowboy is pretty bad. It's easily available from Home Depot or Publix but it sparks like nothing else and has a lot more ash. I am on my first bag of WGWW and so far it seems pretty good ut too early for an endorsement. I mainly use the BGE lump and have been happy with it except for the price.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    I wasn't impressed with WGWW either and I used several bags. Overrated by Eggers IMO.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Mickey
    said:
    "Dance with the one who brung you".  

Damn, the world is ending as I must agree with Gary (over and above the DKR reference). I as well (and thought I was the only member of this forum) was not impressed with WGWW. I have given my last two bags to Travis. Ozark Oak and Royal Oak work fine.

It appears that there are 4 of us forum members that now do. I would love to try Ozark Oak. I just wish it was available in the DC area.
  • beteez said:
    Royal Oak @ Restaurant Depot too good of a deal to pass up
    If you have a member card.  You have to have a business and a tax ID number to become a member.  I have a membership, but the closest store is 4 hours away.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

I have the same success with Cowboy.....would anyone say that WG is better than Cowboy? have not tried it.

The Cowboy I tried a while back seemed to have a lot of sparks IMHO.  I used WG about 99% of the time now.  If I am out of WG, I'll run to Wally World and get RO.

When cowboy sparked was it every bag or just one? I had a bag if WGWW spark to the point I had to fish out the piece sparking to avpid a level of soot on my food. My point is all brands spark occasionally.
  • Mickey

I will not say the brand as the mfg made good on this bag. But this is sparking:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Oh, I know that brand.

It's Zambelli's out of New Castle, PA
  • Mickey
    Oh, I know that brand.

Once more I will not get into brands (never seen that one) but the mfg air frighted in 4 bags to replace the 4 I had ordered on a plallet. It seems a switch was made and some bags were filled with a lump to be sent to a forgeing (spelling?) plant and not what they filled their bags with. Outstanding customer service, it cost a bunch to air that to Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Mickey said:
    Oh, I know that brand.

Once more I will not get into brands (never seen that one) but the mfg air frighted in 4 bags to replace the 4 I had ordered on a plallet. It seems a switch was made and some bags were filled with a lump to be sent to a forgeing (spelling?) plant and not what they filled their bags with. Outstanding customer service, it cost a bunch to air that to Texas.
    Sorry. The "brand" I mentioned is a famous fireworks company. Just looking for laughs, since your egg looks like an upside down Saturn 5 booster in that pic.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    beteez said:
    Royal Oak @ Restaurant Depot too good of a deal to pass up

I recently bought a bunch (around thanksgiving) at Restaurant depot.  $8.99 for a 17.63 lb. bag (usually 10.04 per bag).  I found that RO has two different size bags of the same weight (17.63 lbs)  Every larger bag i have purchsed has had a significant amount of larger pieces and less dust.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• I think the Egg has caused a spike in lump sales everywhere.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Mickey
    Eggcelsior maybe @VillageIdiot is right about me. Sorry, the joke went right over my head L-)

• Wicked Good is the best I've used.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    WG is ok.....I prefer RO though. Since this is another "wicked good is the best lump ever" thread....I'll keep my negative comments about it to myself.....(and there are 5 of us here who don't think it's all that great)

I find Cowboy to be utter crap. I bought some over the holidays cause my local WallyWorld was out of RO. It doesn't get near as hot as RO, creates more ash, and costs more too.
  • I was using RO and pretty satisfied with it until I started getting some bad bags that had a bunch of crap in them.  Also the pieces were getting smaller and smaller.  I started using WGWW and I like it.  There are some caveats.  The pieces are very large.  I have to break them up with a hammer which is not a problem for me.  When I fill my chimney starter it takes several rounds of burning paper to get it started.  It is like the stuff is so dense that it is difficult to really get going.  When I opened the latest bag I found a "piece of firewood" that looked half turned into charcoal.

I still like the WGWW but I've decided that I will try RO again and if I find that it is in pieces larger than crushed gravel I will probably use both brands depending on what I'm cooking and in which egg.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    How expensive is it for everyone? I just called my local Ace and they are going to order and stock it for me. Said it will be 18 bucks for a 22 pound bag! That seems like a wheel of a deal if you ask me.
  • Eggcelsior
    That does sound like a good deal. I can only get it for 23 or 24 bucks.

Nevertheless, I can't justify buying it when I get the same amount of RO for 12.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    I bought a bag yesterday to try out. 19 bucks for a 22# bag at Ace, i am cooking 6 butts next week, i guess i'll find out if i like it.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I buy 3 bags at a time from a local place and generally get it for about $16 a bag. I have not seem RO or Ozark out their so I have not tried it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • After reading everything here I am tempted to bite the bullet and buy a few Wicked bags. Someone help me out, please. I can buy a 20# bag of Cowboy (not great, but workable) for $15 at Ace. I can order the 22# Wicked bags and have them delivered to my local Ace. With the current specials at Ace I can get them for about $18.50/bag. From your experience is it worth the extra $3-4/bag? Will I get that much more out of them?
  • Eggcelsior
    If that is your opinion of Cowboy, then yes.

I had a so-so experience with WGWW. I feel that I am an outlier on this. I am extremely happy with the production I get with RO(Wegmans-branded) for around $0.50/lb. I don't mind trying WGWW again, but I cannot justify spending an additional $10/bag for a product when I am perfectly happy with the one that I can walk to the store and get. The nearest WGWW would be 20 minutes away, in addition to the added cost.

In your case, I would absolutely give it a try. I had no problem with its cooking ability, that was fantastic. The bag I had produced a TON of ash and killed 2 overnighters. This does not seem to be the normal consensus, as everyone appears to get minimal ash production. 
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I can get WG in northern NJ for a little under $17 a bag but I recently joined KCBS and got into Restaurant Depot and picked up a few bags of RO for $10.50 a bag. I'm leaning more towards the RO. You get decent sized pieces and it has a pleasant aroma to it. I've used probably 4 or so bags of WG and there's no disputing the fact that its dense and you get large pieces but I seem to get a funky odor from it; almost has an ammonia smell to it.

I've tried a few others like Humphrey's and Ozark Oak. I was pleased with both of those. The one complaint if any I have about the OO is that I can only get it in the smalls bags which means smaller pieces. I was able to order these two brands from Firecraft.com and got free shipping for a $100 order. You end up paying about a buck a pound.

All that being said, there's a number of quality brands out there and it's been fun trying the few of them out I have been able to get my hands on. I look forward to discovering some more.

PS. I seem to be obsessed with threads about lump...am I the only one?;)

Bloomfield, NJ
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hello All,
    Anyone here from the San Diego area (especially north county)? All I can find locally is BGE lump, which works great but it pretty expensive. I get it from BBQs Galore in Encinitas and the folks that work there are nice enough, but they give lousy advice re: rubs, sauces, etc. Would love to have a lead on any other options that are even somewhat close. I know there are a few KCBS teams from here abouts, so I'm guessing there's a diamond in the rough I'm missing.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • rholt said:
    How expensive is it for everyone? I just called my local Ace and they are going to order and stock it for me. Said it will be 18 bucks for a 22 pound bag! That seems like a wheel of a deal if you ask me.
    I ordered a bag yesterday from my local ACE and it was 21.00....you got a good deal there.
    Brandon, MS
  •  

Lit said:

You will need to get the woo and the 8" pizza stones off amazon to go indirect but the mini works fine for low and slows. I usually do more of a turbo cook for my shoulders on the mini around 300 or so but I have done a 4.5 pound shoulder before with no issues.
    Thanks for the head up LIt. I'll check it out.  Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    The local Walmart doesn't carry RO in the winter, so in a pinch, I had to buck up to BGE lump, and I have been very impressed! I haven't used BGE since the bag that came with the Egg. I know RO makes the BGE lump, but it seems like a much better quality lump that RO: larger pieces, less ash, lasts longer, light quick. I agree with comments above that WG is great for low 'n slows, but I'm happy with my second look at BGE lump.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!