Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver model?

What model foodsaver vacuum sealer do you eggers have?  Looking to get one and was wondering if the cheaper versions work as good as the more expensive models?

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I have the v3835 currently, but I had one of the plain-jane models and as far as sealing - they both do the same job.  My newer one just has more bells and whistles.   B-)
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I have the V3880.  Works very well.  However, if I were to replace it, I think I would buy the Game Saver.  That one looks easier to use and a little more versatile.  For example, that one would allow you to use double sealing.  Weston Supply's Michael Symon Realtree Outfitter modelsalso look very good:

http://www.westonsupply.com/Vacuum-Sealers-Vacuum-Sealer-Bags-s/81.htm

The Weston bags work great in the Food Saver and are somewhat cheaper.  I particularly like the quart bags:  http://www.westonsupply.com/Commercial-Grade-Vacuum-Bags-8-x12-100-bags-p/30-0101-w.htm
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    I have the seal a meal and love it! Does anyone have the tube attachments the go with it? The company says they can't send me any.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have the GameSaver and it works very well for us.  Be sure to price check the "kits", as I bought mine with accessories for less than the sealer alone.  It came with rolls, a carrying bag and a vacuum marinator container for $0.01 than the sealer by itself.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I have an old school FoodSaver Vac 370.  Basic model from probably a decade ago, still going strong and I use it all the time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    bboulier said:
    I have the V3880.  Works very well.  However, if I were to replace it, I think I would buy the Game Saver.  That one looks easier to use and a little more versatile.  For example, that one would allow you to use double sealing.  Weston Supply's Michael Symon Realtree Outfitter modelsalso look very good:

http://www.westonsupply.com/Vacuum-Sealers-Vacuum-Sealer-Bags-s/81.htm

The Weston bags work great in the Food Saver and are somewhat cheaper.  I particularly like the quart bags:  http://www.westonsupply.com/Commercial-Grade-Vacuum-Bags-8-x12-100-bags-p/30-0101-w.htm

I'm looking at the same vacuum sealer. You can pick one up here for a little less. I believe these are the people that make them

http://www.provacuumsealers.com/order.htm

Amazon has it cheaper also.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I have an old school FoodSaver Vac 370.  Basic model from probably a decade ago, still going strong and I use it all the time.

I've had the vac 550 for around that long and it still works...it looks like a pain to use compared to newer ones but works fine. I'll upgrade one day.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013

I've had the vac 550 for around that long and it still works...it looks like a pain to use compared to newer ones but works fine. I'll upgrade one day.

Yeah, same here, thought about replacing it with an "easier" model but the damn thing won't die!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2013
    I got the v3880 from Costco on sale think it was like $139 or something. Think its normally like $169.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I have the Foodsaver Gamesaver Deluxe ($139.00 at cabelas)  It is my second foodsaver and it works much better.  I am an avid fisherman and it works great for speck and redfish filets as well as pulled pork and everything else.   I have had it now for 2 years.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2013
    Got this one for Christmas and so far it works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I just got the Foodsaver 3880 for xmas (bought it for myself) and loving it so far. Was intimidated to try it at first because i read so many negative reviews about difficulty getting bags to seal. Well, I can say those people must be idiots, because using it is idiot proof (once you figure out the buttons). But it seals great.

Been watching them for a while, got it on sale for $60 off. $129 total and game with some bags and a tupperware marinator. 

Found bulk roles on Amazon so i am stocked and ready.
    Woodstock, GA
  • Does anyone have any experience with the chamber sealers?  I know the initial cost is quite a bit more, but I'm told they are much better for marinating and the bags are about one tenth the cost of the bags for external sealing units.  That savings could add up in a hurry.  My old Foodsaver is on its last leg, and I'm about to get a sous vide unit, so I'm in the market for a new sealer.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    My Foodsaver is nearly 8 years old now, and I use it all the time. I would say don't go to the least expensive models, not because of how they seal but because some of the accessories like canisters can't be used with them. I use the canisters all the time to keep things like brown sugar fresh. Now when I go to use light or dark brown sugar, I am never faced with opening a box and finding a brick of brown sugar inside.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.