Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas for a large group?

Options
We're hosting dinner for our church group Saturday and my wife decided she wanted Fajitas (beef, chicken, and veggie). My question is how much skirt steak and chicken would you guys recommend? I will be cooking for 8 adults and 9 children (under the age of 10). Help! :)
Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Assuming you have all the trimmings and sides plus grilled veggies, I'd guess around a 1/2 lb per adult based upon a full pound of fajitas is normally served for two people at our local Mexican restaurant.  People will use more depending upon the size of the tortilla as smaller tortillas require dinners to come back for a third or fourth one compared to large diameter ones.  People will eat (or waste more) if it is served buffet style, especially unsupervised kids who lack the ability to judge portion size.

Kids are tougher to guess. Some young kids will eat only meat and no sides, so they still can go through almost as much as an adult. Other kids will crush the chips and salsa and not eat a lot of the main course.  I'd budget 1/4lb - 1/3 lb per kid.

There is bound to be someone here in the catering biz that has a better estimate.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Thank you guys for the responses. I'll probably go ahead and cook 8 pounds of beef and maybe 5 pounds of Chicken. I'm sure I will have a ton of leftovers, but I can freeze it and save the extra for a quick fajita night during the week.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Leftovers are always a plus.  I normally cook more than needed when we have people over.  Never want a guest to leave hungry.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you have a hotel pan or one of those double or treble crock pots you could set up with tortillas, chicken and beef for serving. Leave the onions and peppers in the ci pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON