Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef back ribs

jscarfo
jscarfo Posts: 405
any suggestions on how to cook them. there not short ribs. low an slow?

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Pull off membrane.....coat with EVOO and Dizzy Dust . Cook turbo indirect at 350. Bone side down 1 hour, flip bone side up 45 mins...flip last 15 mins and sauce (like Bone Sucking Sauce). Spray equal parts apple cider vinegar and apple juice every 30 minutes.Done with bed test or 195 temp. Use Apple wood chunks!  Comes out great....may never take 4-5 hours again.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    That should be "bend" test...LOL!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • leechrg
    leechrg Posts: 27
    I wrap in foil and splash in some sort of pale ale. I LOVE some beef ribs 
  • jscarfo
    sounds good, pic looks great hope mine look like that.   thanks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Most that I come across are racks left over when rib-eye steaks are cut away from the bone. Often, there is not much meat left. Those, I usually cook pretty hot, up to 350F dome. Doesn't take long, 3 hours tops. I look for slightly crisp meat.

If the meat is thicker, I go lower to render out as much fat as possible. They always taste great, but having a mouth coated w. grease, no matter how tasty, isn't so good.

Sometimes, I find them cut for themselves, not as leftovers. There may be a full inch of meat over the bone. Those are the best. Usually, the bones are separate, but not always. I cook those at 250, usually for about 4 hours. They cook faster than pork ribs. The meat is quite tender. Again, it a matter of rendering the fat, and crisping the outside.

Most of the time, I just use S&P for flavor.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Here is my last go I went crazy on them for a while we have a local grocer that sells them pretty meaty.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144578/mmmm-beef-back-ribs#latest
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I just had some of these and I loosely followed this method:

What I did was:
    • light egg and stabilize at 325
    • brushed ribs with Worcester sauce
    • rubbed with steak seasoning (I used Kirkland Signture steak seasoning)
    • add a couple of chunks of Oak (I think this is key!) on the egg.
    • Put ribs on egg for about 1:15 at 325
    • put them in a foil pan with a little beer, drizzled a little honey on the ribs, a 1/4 cup of chopped onions on ribs, wrapped tightly and back on the egg for another 1:15 at 325
    • remove from foil and put back on the egg.  Mixed some of the pan drippings with BBQ sauce and brushed on.  
    I thought they turned out quite nice! As mentioned above- I really like oak on beef and I thought it gave these excellent flavor.  After 1:15 in the foil they are pulled back from the bone nicely and very tender.  Definitely not new years diet food...very fatty and delicious. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jscarfo
    Ribs came out great lots of flavor very moist thanks for tips. Did them at 325 for about 2 hrs
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    They are great eats! Good work