Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My table (finally)

I finally had a chance to take a shot of the table I built for my LBGE.   Obvious inspiration (and thanks) to RallyEgg who gave me the idea of using burnt cedar to build the table.   The basic frame is built of 4x4 posts and the remaining supporting structure is 2x4s and 1x6s.  I used Tite-Bond and a Kreg Pocket jig for all construction.  All wood is cedar and was burnt with a basic propane torch and wiped clean with a stiff bristle brush.   The table top is composed of a layer of 1x6 cedar boards, a 3x5 sheet of backer-board glued to the wood and finally about 15 square feet of glass tile sheets I found on clearance at Home Depot.   The glass for the doors is actually acrylic sheet (home depot) sprayed with a "frosting" Valspar aerosol paint. The egg is elevated on terra-cotta plant raisers which are sitting on slate tile.   The slate, handle, door knobs and european hinges are all left over from a kitchen remodel from a few years ago.   I'm really pleased with the final outcome, and have been cooking on this thing like crazy.  I've even had success with cold smoking and want to try a dutch oven and wok next...

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks awesome!  Nice job.  I like that style of construction.   Let us know how that top holds up - edge joined softwood likes to shrink and swell.  The cement backer board should protect the top tiles.  If you sealed it on all sides (the 1x6 cedar) it may be fine.
    Very Nice!,,
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking table. Love the burnt cedar.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I guess it's ok...if you like great looking egg tables...hehe. Is your egg listening to an iPod .
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Nice did you stain at all or just burn
  • tmarz
    tmarz Posts: 2
    I finally had a chance to take a shot of the table I built for my LBGE.   Obvious inspiration (and thanks) to RallyEgg who gave me the idea of using burnt cedar to build the table.   The basic frame is built of 4x4 posts and the remaining supporting structure is 2x4s and 1x6s.  I used Tite-Bond and a Kreg Pocket jig for all construction.  All wood is cedar and was burnt with a basic propane torch and wiped clean with a stiff bristle brush.   The table top is composed of a layer of 1x6 cedar boards, a 3x5 sheet of backer-board glued to the wood and finally about 15 square feet of glass tile sheets I found on clearance at Home Depot.   The glass for the doors is actually acrylic sheet (home depot) sprayed with a "frosting" Valspar aerosol paint. The egg is elevated on terra-cotta plant raisers which are sitting on slate tile.   The slate, handle, door knobs and european hinges are all left over from a kitchen remodel from a few years ago.   I'm really pleased with the final outcome, and have been cooking on this thing like crazy.  I've even had success with cold smoking and want to try a dutch oven and wok next...

solid table, nice work

Tmarz

• Nice looking, clean, and different material usage! Like the doors. :-t
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's a really nice job. I like the modern look of the hardware and the contrast of the clean, muted grey with the burnt cedar. Good work.
  • Looks great.  =D>

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Good things come to thought who wait!  Very nice indeed 
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE