Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options

Visited my local retailer for the first time this weekend.  Bought a lovely silicone Green Egg basting brush.  Had to get something....

Anyway, being a beef guy like I am, I have freezers full of steaks.  They told me that best steak is done on the cast iron grate.  I didn't even know this was an option.  Do any of you have one?  What all do you use it for besides steaks?  Is it worth the $90 it runs?

- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• oakdaleegger
    Options
    Yes its worth it. I bought a 1/2 grate for my XL. Got it for $40. Use it for all my steaks, everytime. 
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options
    so a half grate?  i'm having trouble picturing....whats on the other half?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    nothing on the other 1/2. its empty. i just move the majority of the coal over to one side. 
  • tays44
    Options
    Gotcha.  Interesting.  With the large model I have probably be better served going with the full grate though I'd guess.  I had (6) 14 oz bone in strips on there last week and had them somewhat spread out.  Wasn't too much room to spare.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What size egg? I would buy 1/2 for XL, but whole for L. I have the L cast iron grate (1 piece) and use them when doing any direct cooking of beef or pork. also buy a "grid lifter". It's a cleaver way to pick up the heavy cast grates without hurting yourself or breaking something.
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    Yes. I only bought one half grate because it was the last one they had and i got it for no tax. i would definitely get the other 1/2, just havent needed it yet.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    I accidentally dropped my CI grate (BGE) from about 2 feet and it broke into 3 pieces. I kind of like it better now.
  • tays44
    Options
    What size egg? I would buy 1/2 for XL, but whole for L. I have the L cast iron grate (1 piece) and use them when doing any direct cooking of beef or pork. also buy a "grid lifter". It's a cleaver way to pick up the heavy cast grates without hurting yourself or breaking something.
    can you post a pic with your grate and the 'grid lifter'?  i hav ea large as well.  i'm not too savvy on the eggscesorries quite yet and am a visual person.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    $90 they are robbing you bought one at my dealer to months ago for $50 and they don't have sales etc. seen them on amazon for anywhere from 50-70. Also check out they cray courts interesting but was unavailable on amazon when I went to order
  • tays44
    Options
    good to know, thanks.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'd suggest a spider from ceramicgrillstore and a CI grid.  The spider drops the grid down closer to the fire.  I have it for my XL and picked up an 18" CI grid from Amazon.  The combo puts a real nice sear and grill marks on the steak.  For a large, I think a 15" CI grid goes with the spider.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.