Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Hat for your Ham? (Pix)

Options
J_Que
J_Que Posts: 223
edited January 2013 in Pork
I'm a huge ham fan and have been tweaking several recipes that I've found here on the forum. Despite cooking them at low temps (225-250) one problem I frequently encounter is charring on the upper portion of the shank half. After taking some heat from the eaters. (I call them eaters because they don't cook. They just eat and comment.) I decided to give my Hams a little foil hat and was curious if anyone else does this or if there are other techniques my fellow Eggers use to avoid this issue.   image   image    image
I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options

Nope. Last three cooks. I cook at 300. The last one a very little but was fine.

imageimageimage

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.