Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend meat slicer. I know, it's been talked about before

I'm finally in the market for a good meat slicer.  Price is always a consideration, but not at the expense of quality.

I want a slicer that will slice raw meat and cheese, be easy to clean, and have a sharpening attachment.  I'd go $500 or less, but would prefer it in the $300 range.  Does such an animal exist?

I searched the forum, but the threads did not answer my questions.  Any help out there?  Thanks !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Well it depends on how far away you live. I may have to charge mileage. I will bring two knives with me and my cheese slicer. I'll charge the lower rate of $300 BUT I will slice the cheese for free :)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I bought a Chef's Choice 615 off of Amazon.  You can buy a sharpener attachment.

It has worked very well for me.  Just remember to freeze for about an hour before 'thin' slicing...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Well it depends on how far away you live. I may have to charge mileage. I will bring two knives with me and my cheese slicer. I'll charge the lower rate of $300 BUT I will slice the cheese for free :)
    I cut the cheese, but good manners forbid me to do so at a friend's house.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got this for Christmas. The blade guide at the top turns around and has 2 stones with one connected to a button to control the pressure on the blade to sharpen it. I have only used it once so far but I did 7 pounds of rib eye roast and a pound of Colby jack and it worked great. Took about 20 minutes to clean but that was my first time cleaning so I had to figure out how to take it apart. It had no problem doing really thin slices on the meat or cheese.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BHO3NY/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357524794&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
  • Thanks @Browninggold and @Lit.

@Lit.  That's top price from what I wanted to spend but I like the stronger motor (1/3 hp) and the relative ease of cleaning.  I might go with that one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I got the Chef Choice 615 for Christmas, but have yet to use it. My thinking was start off small and see how much use it gets. If I use it a bunch and it doesn't last, I'll get a better one. I figured it was better than  spending a bunch of money on something that might not get used a lot. Looking forward to doing some pastrami and making my own lunch meat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    I got the Chef Choice 615 for Christmas, but have yet to use it. My thinking was start off small and see how much use it gets. If I use it a bunch and it doesn't last, I'll get a better one. I figured it was better than  spending a bunch of money on something that might not get used a lot. Looking forward to doing some pastrami and making my own lunch meat.
    Thanks, Grif.  I was eyeing the 615.  It's certainly not a piece of junk.  However, a few of the comments on the Amazon site ran me off.  Quite a few people said it is very difficult to clean, and at least one person said that food easily sticks in it.  I would rather spend the extra dollars and get the consumer top of the line rather than buying two and end up spending more in the long run.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658

Griffin said:
    Thanks, Grif.  I was eyeing the 615.  It's certainly not a piece of junk.  However, a few of the comments on the Amazon site ran me off.  Quite a few people said it is very difficult to clean, and at least one person said that food easily sticks in it.  I would rather spend the extra dollars and get the consumer top of the line rather than buying two and end up spending more in the long run.
    i think with the inexpensive models it isnt the cleanup thats the issue, its more the people who buy the cheaper unit and their expectations. for instance some people think they will take out the slicer and cut three slices for a sandwich, then clean up and put it away, thats not worth  the cleanup time. now cut up a couple pounds and take 4 or 5 minutes to clean it, now thats worth it. i use mine mostly when i have a crowd at the fish camp, it stays on the countr all week and slices up maybe 20 or more pounds during the week. now the main problem with the cheaper unit is the shaft and bearing wearing out, my blade tips now starting a thin slice and finishing thicker, still fine for most things sliced but not something you want paper thin like proscuito
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I don't know what's in your area VI, but my brother and I bought a Hobart from a local company that deals in used restaurant equipment and fixtures.  We paid $400.00 and there is no way we will ever wear it out.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I've been looking at this one Presto PS-10 - no first hand experience but it seems pretty well reviewed.  Best price I've found - with free shipping here: http://www.katom.com/163-P10.html

Compact Meat Slicer w/ 10-in Blade & .25-HP Motor, 120 V

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE