Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virgin BGE chicken questions

Options
Ok, so I got the LBGE for Christmas and so far have cooked brisket, filet mignon, and burgers on it. All fantastic - but tonight is chicken night...a little nervous.
I am doing leg quarters that have been seasoned and sitting in the fridge for a few hours now. Questions: direct vs indirect, and at what temp? Looking for a nice crispy skin, but I don't have a raised grill setup yet. I do have a plate setter though. Thinking start with a low lump pile at 400, indirect with feet up plate setter, skin down till crispy, then flip till done, around 180?

second part...would you all recommend a drip pan on the setter, and if so, can said drip pan have some veggies/potatoes in it for the hour or so the chic will cook?

thanks in advance - you all have helped me kick off my egg obsession with great results so far!

Comments

• maximus1
    Options
    I do mine direct at 350 usually ten minutes per side or so, always comes out perfect as I cook to temperature.  
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Yes use a drip pan on the plate setter so that it does not get funky. If you are going indirect then you can cook skin side up as there is no real benefit from placing skin side down. Make sure that you have toweled off the chicken so that the skin is dry before you place it on the grill, this will help the skin get crispy even better if you can let is sit in the fridge to dry a bit before putting it on the grill. 

Just my two cents. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • dennyinCO
    Options
    Right on- firing it up now. Chic has been in the fridge for a few hours. Going indirect - I'll post the results. THX!
  • dennyinCO
    Options
    So it turns out that if you're gonna flip the chicken over, skin side down, you really gotta keep an eye on it- even with the plate setter and drip pan. Lord - had one thigh overhang the edge and it turned into an inferno! I shut the lid and capped it for a couple seconds and put out the fire - which was spectacular, by the way...entire drip pan was lit up! But one poor little guy was sacrificed on the learning curve! 8-}
    anyway - an hour at 400, 4 flips, and had perfect 175 degree thighs with crispy skin seasoned with rosemary salt and Greek seasoning. Nice n juicy! Thx for the tips!
    Next attempt...salmon!