Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Chicken Legs on Green Egg

Options
RDMS
RDMS Posts: 3
Looking for a time and temp to smoke Chicken Legs on Egg in a Vertical Rack.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Try searching bullhorns on bge and find the video on youtube by the smoking guitar player. Entertaining and informative.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I cook mine at 300 direct for 1 hour and 15 minutes and they turn out fantastic. you could go 400 direct for about 45 minutes either way they turn out good on that vertical rack. good luck!
    Brandon, MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options
    This on the Mini but same on the Large. 400 direct raised about 45 min. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Then on Large direct with gizzards. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cook them between 220 and 450F, the time will vary based on the size of the legs and temp.  Use a thermometer and cook until the coolest part is 180-185F.  Think hot temps, crispier skin, less smoke, faster....lower temps, less crispy skin, more smoke, slower. 

Adjust as you go to get them done when you're ready to eat them.  You can cook them slow, then sear them at the end, right before you're ready to eat. 

There's no right or wrong temp/time formula, you just don't want to under or over cook them - that's why the meat thermometer is good. 

You'll learn to judge doneness innately, eventually, by poking them and looking at how the meat's acting against the bone, etc.