Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A cold lesson with the Party Q

I am a big fan of the BBQ Guru Party Q.  However, I did learn a lesson over the Christmas holiday.  I put new duracell batteries in the party Q at eight in the evening and got to smoking a pork butt.  At six the next morning the temp was at 225 (exactly where I set it) but the batteries were pretty much gone. I replaced the batteries with four more new duracells and within 4 hours they were dead.  The temps were in the 20's all night and day.  I ended up just removing the Q and finishing up without the device. 

I still love the little gadget but did learn that it does have its limitations.

When in doubt add more pepper.

Comments

•  

GLW said:

I am a big fan of the BBQ Guru Party Q.  However, I did learn a lesson over the Christmas holiday.  I put new duracell batteries in the party Q at eight in the evening and got to smoking a pork butt.  At six the next morning the temp was at 225 (exactly where I set it) but the batteries were pretty much gone. I replaced the batteries with four more new duracells and within 4 hours they were dead.  The temps were in the 20's all night and day.  I ended up just removing the Q and finishing up without the device. 

I still love the little gadget but did learn that it does have its limitations.

Had the same thing happen to me over Christmas.  Do you think the batteries under preform in cold weather, OR the cold weather makes the device work extra hard, thus depleting the batteries?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I think the cold impacts the batteries.  This was the first time i used the Q in cold weather.  Still a handy device.  
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @nakedwiz recommends lithium in the extreme cold. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yes, Lithium.  I'm a battery nerd because of all my RC days.  You can also rig up a wall-wort and plug it in.

Make sure your bypass air is high enough the fan doesn't have to run much.
    I think the venting was okay. I didn't know about the lithium batteries and will try that.

What's a wal-wort?
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I got 14 hours out of the set of Eveready Industrial AA's that came with my PartyQ. It was 26F at 8 pm when I started and 18F the next morning. I replaced with regular Duracell AA's and my cook was finished 3 hrs later.

Once my warranty is off, I plan to rig up a wall wort to run mine. A wall wort is an AC to DC power source. You see them powering all sorts of electronic devices. I plan to find a 5 volt, cut the plug off the end, and solder it up to the Q's battery box. No more batteries and no more worrying about keeping them going in freezing cold. Something along the line of this...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a whole drawer full of those - that's what I use em for too.
    Zombie thread I know, but if I just splice and attach the pos and negs, it will work by plugging it in??

XLBGE 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited July 2015
    Zombie thread I know, but if I just splice and attach the pos and negs, it will work by plugging it in??
    Make sure the voltage and polarity are appropriate.

Are the batteries side by side or in a line?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I'm looking into purchasing a Party Q - what kind of life expectancy can I expect to get in 60 degree weather (Los Angeles) with alkaline and or lithium batteries.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    I am using Eneloop rechargable batteries. They work very well for me. Overnight or all-day cooks can be done on 1 charge with extra juice left.  Costco has a 8AA and 4AAA with charger for $21.99 right now which is a good price.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • I am using Eneloop rechargable batteries. They work very well for me. Overnight or all-day cooks can be done on 1 charge with extra juice left.  Costco has a 8AA and 4AAA with charger for $21.99 right now which is a good price.
    In store or online?
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    I am using Eneloop rechargable batteries. They work very well for me. Overnight or all-day cooks can be done on 1 charge with extra juice left.  Costco has a 8AA and 4AAA with charger for $21.99 right now which is a good price.
    In store or online?
    I saw them on sale in-store
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I got a good long run out of the original batteries that came with my Q, then switched to rechargeable.
    All good.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon