Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Solution: What to do with Platesetter when loading lump

2»

Comments

• Come on guys.
    Buy a can of go jo hand cleaner and get over it.
  • I did not have any intentions on selling it, I do welding as a hobby, but I have had a few people message me to purchase one. This was a one off tool, but I may put together a jig and build a few if people wanted them. I use a $5 handle from a chipping handle from harbor freight, along with some rebar. I could get some metal and for about $30 plus shipping I could do a few of them. I am actually a software developer, but I love building things.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Heavy duty grill gloves keep hands clean and give me a few seconds to put a hot plate setter on the pavers.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Very cool tool and rack. I use a pair of ole cheapo gloves for moving placesetter/racks/grates and dirty stuff (when they are cool). You know the grayish ones with the striped cuffs you find at Home Depot (course mine are black now)? and have a set of welders gloves for the hot stuff plus just got a new set of high temp grill gloves from Academy the other week (but haven't used them). My stuff all gets thrown in the firepit to avoid making a mess. Course that wouldn't work if I had a fire going....
    I have seen your gloves, they were the pink hello kitty version, but I did admire them.
    You DID ask where I got them. maybe Santa will bring you a pair.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That is one nasty looking plate setter dude!  Every consider a drip tray?  A good grill glove will handle a hot plate setter.  I have never had to add any lump to my large Egg even if I do an 18 hours cook.  An adjustable rig would eliminate your issue.  I am making my own rig and pictures will be up when it is done.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I don't get too concerned about my hands getting dirty.  That's what God made shirts for.
  • probe1957 said:
    I don't get too concerned about my hands getting dirty.  That's what God made shirts for.
    +1 . Pants to.
  • I think it is weird how so many people are knocking on his plate setter. Y'all would stroke if you saw the plate setter my father-in-law works with. He has never done a clean burn in the 9 years he has had his LBGE and everything tastes great.

That tool could be really handy! If you end up selling them, count me in.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My plate setter is currently almost as nasty on one side.  It's just carbon.  Next pizza cook will burn it off.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The platesetter was not yet scraped off.  I usually scrape it off but I wanted to get a photo.  It still stays pretty black, but it works.

I have done the pizza, but I try to stay away from them, It may be an allergy, but if I eat too many, I swell up around the middle.
    I got it if nobody else did. Pretty funny!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• After a few years of carbonizing the plate setter it will become a non stick surface and you can fry your eggs on it. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    imageimage
    Was that done by bending the rebar or did you cut a bunch of individual sections and weld them together?  I'd love to have something like that for moving a hot plate setter.
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    I agree with you Trollaldelete; when it comes to design, BGE is like an incomplete thought. When it comes to accessories, BGE has no thoughts.

I'm convinced BGE never considered the removal of a fire ring. And after realizing the problem just said "it's to expensive to change the molds" for something as innovative as....integral handles. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • That was done by cutting the rebar, then welding it back in that shape.  Took a few trys to get it where I could lift it out easily, but I have been using it almost daily and it works great.