Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long it should take to get temperature up to 400 degrees?

Options
I have trouble getting the temperature up to the correct temperature and would like some suggestions.  I have checked to make sure the holes are not plugged up.  The other night I was making a center loin pork roast and it took over 40 minutes to get the temp in egg up to 350.   I started it first and left the top open and the bottom vent open, after about 10 minutes when I see some white charcoal I close the lid with the both the damper top and the slide vent open.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

Comments

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    With what and how are you lighting it with?  On my first cook, it took about 30 or so minutes to get my egg lit and stabilized at 400. Of course I was real conservative the way I reached it.  I used 2 firestarter blocks lit in the egg with dome open and bottom vent open. After about 8 minutes the blocks were done (initially large flames reduced) and I closed the dome and put the daisy wheel on and started closing the bottom vent.  I made sure the needle went up real slow to get the temp I wanted so I did do a little temperature chasing in the beginning.  It was having good smoke about 20 or so minutes in though. I was using Ozark Oak lump.

I've seen several posts that if you want high temps (400+) fast, you should try and light the coals in 2-3 spots to get it going faster and hotter.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2012
    Options

Think "air flow"...I seem to get 400 easily within 20/30 minutes with a cleaned out Egg.

When I add new lump I do hand select enough bigger pieces to cover the bottom vent before I pour on.  Use plenty of charcoal, you may not have enough.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    What brand lump? Normally, I could expect 400F dome temp in about 15 minutes using alcohol to start when using Royal Oak. However, I've had to settle for Publix lump the past few weeks and it's been taking half hour or so.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    you have too much ash in the bottom of your BGE...probably
  • ntetrick
    Options
    I use the green egg charcoal and 2 fire starters in different spots.  The charcoal was almost up to the top of fire box so I think I had enough.  I have not made sure the large pieces of lump are on the bottom so I will try that.  I am going to go clean out the box, try putting the large pieces on the bottom and get ready for tomorrow.  Thanks for your help.
    I have tried several times to make steaks and have had to wait so long to get to the high temp I have given up but will try again.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Not long if you light it like this:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I used the Stoker fan (10 CFM) and had Royal Oak. I lit in 1 spot with a MAP torch. 6 minutes I was at 350°

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Like Mickey and big guy said using a torch gets there in few minutes. I hit about 4 spots for 30 seconds each. Close lid and open bottom and top. 3-5 minutes I'm at 350-400.
    Boom
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Had a similar problem. If you have too many fines it can close off the holes in the grate. As they say, it's all in the airflow. With a good grate and multiple lights, maybe 15 minutes. I am a RO convert also, good stuff. I use the made in America stuff. (RO has several types, and some get poor reviews.)
    LBGE
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I used RO for the first time today and thought it would take about 30 min to stabilize at 350, I was wrong came out at 25 min and dome was at 500. closed the vents down put on the daisy wheel and dialed in the 350. All was good.

Air flow, as mentioned before is the driver of temp. Even with clear holes and lower are if there is a lot of ash between your lump the air flow will be reduced, I give my lump a good stir each time I go to light it and clear out the ash from the bottom.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Options
    My 2 cents.  
    1) leave the egg open longer when lighting. 
    2) upgrade to the high-que grate.
    I've done both and getting too hot is my biggest issue now.  
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    I would have problems getting the lump up to temp with the starter cubes as well. It didn't matter if I had just cleaned out the egg or not. I switched to an electric lighter and haven't had any issues since. Plus it's nice not having to worry about running out of cubes, or wondering how many I need, where to put them, etc.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."