Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Do it Indirect?

Options
I have an XL and did pizza last night using the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.  The pizza came out OK but the crust didn't seem to cook thoroughly.  I did the pizza on the top rack of the rig (with the pizza stone) and had the pan set up on the bottom rack to make it an indirect setup.  Perhaps the crust didn't cook thoroughly because I didn't keep the temp high enough, long enough (around 500 degrees).  Any suggestions or advice?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Most likely it was because the pizza stone wasn't hot enough. You need to put it in early and let it warm up with the Egg.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Have found direct works if you get it high in the dome.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012
    Options
    There's so many factors that go into pizza cooking:
    1.) flour to water content in the dough
    2.) temp of egg
    3.) temp of pizza stone
    4.) amount of toppings
    5.) others?

I've been "BBQ'ing" over a decade and I find pizza to be the toughest cook - so don't get discouraged.  Keep experimenting and keep track of what you are doing so each time you improve.  
    I make my own dough and heat the pizza stone for at least 15 minutes. I shoot for about 550-600 degrees. Go easy with the toppings until you get everything down.  Mine usually take about 10-12 minutes but best to go by "look" when it comes to pizza.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I always do my pizzas in two steps.  First step (skipping the fire, setup, etc) I cook the pizza dough and the sauce for about 5 minutes at somewhere around 550 degrees.  Step two is I take the pizza off the BGE, add the toppings and then put it back on for another 5/6 minutes and I too, go by the look test.