Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook tomorrow - New Years Day

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
It is cold out and I hate the cold - so not standing outside watching the Egg type cook - Meaning no Wok, no steaks, etc.

Looking for a good cook tomorrow - any ideas for a 4-5 hour cook?  Will have to go to the grocery store to find something.

A little healthy would be nice as well.

Can a small flat brisket come out good?  I have done a 15lb packer that was great but not sure on a small flat.  If so how can I cook this and would 4-5 hours be enough time?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    5 hours are ribs but if you want healthy, maybe a pork loin? Good off the egg and great left-overs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• robnybbq
    Not sure if I want ribs - That is my one crutch so far that I did not come off great off the Egg.

I have a pork loin in the freezer but not enough time to defrost - may look for another one.

Garnerville, NY
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    robnybbq said:

It is cold out and I hate the cold - so not standing outside watching the Egg type cook - Meaning no Wok, no steaks, etc.

Looking for a good cook tomorrow - any ideas for a 4-5 hour cook?  Will have to go to the grocery store to find something.

A little healthy would be nice as well.

Can a small flat brisket come out good?  I have done a 15lb packer that was great but not sure on a small flat.  If so how can I cook this and would 4-5 hours be enough time?

You ask for healthy and throw out brisket. I guess relative to a Big Mac extra value meal
  • robnybbq
    Well looking at all options.

I do not want chicken (cardboard with wings).

Dont know what else to smoke that is healthy.

Garnerville, NY
  • IrishDevl
    How about a nice piece of grilled fish.
  • IrishDevl
    Not a five hour smoke though.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    robnybbq said:

Not sure if I want ribs - That is my one crutch so far that I did not come off great off the Egg.

I have a pork loin in the freezer but not enough time to defrost - may look for another one.

Put in a zip-loc and in warn water. Should thaw quickly.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    If you think chicken tastes like cardboard then you are doing it right. Chicken off the Egg is delicious.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • robnybbq
    Spatchcock chicken is good.  breasts cooked by themselves are another story.  Some say brine/marinade them but then they are not healthy after adding all marinade so whats the point of eating something I do not like?   Plus I cant see firing up the Egg for an hour for a 10 minute cook.

May look for another pork loin later tonight or tomorrow morning.  I will not get home until later this evening so the frozen loin may be out for tomorrow.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @robnybbq-Once clear of the holidays you may want to give boneless, skinless chix another go-I have great success using some dry seasoning, jerk, montreal, creole etc and cooking them raised direct at about 350*F on the dome to 160*F.  Always moist and great flavor-Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'm thinking ribs - 2 hours - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144307/my-turbo-ribs-tonight#latest

Or brisket - overnight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • robnybbq
    OK Pork loin it is.  Now how to cook it?

Some rub - Butt Rub or make one (any ideas)?

indirect at 350?  Cook to 140-145?  I am guessing approximately 1 hour?  Or longer.  Just want to gauge when to light the Egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • Healthy option - boneless, skinless chicken thighes cooked indirect at 350-375 for 20-30 mins or until internal temp of 160. I rub them with various Dizzy Pig rubs and hit them with Fred's Secret Sauce. Same cooking method as the pork tender. Pork cooking time depends on the size but the ones I get only take about 20 mins. Nothing worse than overcooked pork tenderloin.

Chester County, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @robnybbq-pork loin is a great choice-I cook them indirect at around 350*F on the dome and usually around an hour to 140*F-you've got it down!  Rub-wise, go with one you like on butt or just EVOO, salt and fresh ground pepper with some garlic.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.