Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought the wrong ham, need cooking suggestions

We wanted to cook a particular recipe for New Year. It calls for a ready-to-cook ham and specifies NOT a fully cooked one. We looked at hams in the store until we were blue in the face, and still managed to come home with a fully cooked ham. We went ahead and injected it and rubbed it as instructed, but I want to ask how I should modify the cooking instructions.

The recipe calls to cook it at 300 for about 20 mins per pound. Since our ham is already fully cooked, I assume I can cook it less than that, but the question is, how much less? Do I just cook it until it looks nice and go ahead and pull it off, knowing it is already fully cooked?

Tim

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I would just cook it to an internal temp 130-140. All you need to do is warm it up.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Expect about 3-5 hours at 250

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep. Was cooked indirect.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    should be fine the way your cooking it, just get it off the grill by 140 internal. the recipe i use with an injection is 275 25 min a pound, after the internal hits 140 it will rise to 145 at the table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Alright, I didn't think it would be any problem, but it was best to check first. My plan is indirect at 275-300 with a drip pan until it looks good.

Thanks!
    Tim
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    After the fact: I ended up cooking it the full 20 mins per pound at 275-300. It was awesome. The meat did not get dried out and the outside was just right.

Tim