Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there a thermometer out there worth spending your money on???

Options
I have a Maverick Redicheck. Not the new ET-723 but the older model. I had a feeling the reading was off and sure enough, I put in boiling water and it read 232. I was then "thrilled" to learn that I can't calibrate the thermometer. So I'm wondering if A) am I wrong about not being able to calibrate the thermometer, and B) is the ET-723 worth getting or are there any other suggestions ya'll could throw at me.
Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thermapen, great instant read thermometer
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use a Maverick ET-732 (not 723) for all my low and slow cooking and a Thermoworks Thermapen for any type of cooking. Since you know how much off the Maverick is, you can just do the math and figure out the real temperature.  I used to have one and it was pretty close to accurate.  Maybe you could contact the company and see what they say about calibrating it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • svendangle
    Options
    Yeah, 
    until I get a new one I will have to do the math. Not the end of the world, just a bit of a pain. I googled it and found out that you cant calibrate. Thats like buying a car that cant have the tires changed!!!
    I will look into the Thermapen. The ability to calibrate is defiantly going to be on of the deciding factors of my next purchase. As ya'll know, they aren't cheap. 

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    thermapen is the way to go...get what you pay for along with the customer service to go with it.....thermoworks has been great to work with when i sent back there products...highly recommend!!!  check out there video on the unit and the calibration process....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I just got the Thermoworks RT600C.  Love it.  Don't have a Thermapen to compare it to, but the RT600C works great for my needs at a substantially cheaper cost.  
  • CoolBees
    Options
    I received the BGE dual temp and remote for Xmas. Any one with this unit wish to share their experience ?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I just got the Thermoworks RT600C.  Love it.  Don't have a Thermapen to compare it to, but the RT600C works great for my needs at a substantially cheaper cost.  
    That's a perfectly good instant read.  Under 1/4th the cost of the Thermapen - you're not going to cook better with a thermapen - you just get your temps faster.
    Mav 732 has one great strength, it provides information on food temp and pit temp with pit high low alarms and food temp alarm - remotely. You do not have to go to the grill to check temps, it just tells you. 
    The Mav is available for <$70 and is great for low and slows, very hard to find anything that will do the job for so little money. Stokers do the same thing, but cost twice as much.

Instand reads are for just checking temps on all cooks - they too are indispensable, two different tools, two different tasks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!