Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon attempt

2»

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    @SaltySam they turned out great! My wife wanted a type of dill sauce to go with them, it was the first time we had planked salmon! I loved the taste from the cedar plank. Def. will cook this again!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    We do filets with skin on, no flip.  Direct at 350* with a single chunk of mild wood, typically peach.  If the temp is too low, the fish takes too long to cook and the smoke overwhelms the fish. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    edited December 2012
    This is how I did salmon for Christmas Eve. It's cedar planked with peach slices and soy ginger vinaigrette. I found the recipe on the BGE site and used peach slices instead of fresh peaches. http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p575/DrkmInWA/ae55e9017527cfab26e48d763a5960f6.jpg
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    tyenic1 - you should be able to use that plank 3 or 4 times.   Yes, I'll use the plate setter - basically I'm baking it.  No flip.  The flip can dump out all the juice.   Sometimes I'll do raised direct, but I'll flip it in that case.   Skin side up, cook a while, flip to skin-side down (maybe throw on some butter) and finish and serve skin down.  Some times the skin is left behind. 

Little Steven told me a trick for keeping fish un-stuck is to use a coating of mayo.  Said you don't taste it.
    I usually grill indirect at 350-400.  I like salmon lightly smoked.  This time of year, I cut off some of the nearby grape vine for smoke.  Saves pruning in February or March.  Alder wood chips also impart a nice flavor.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)