Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cornbread on Egg Recipe Help

Anyone have a good recipe they'd be willing to share?  Doing the last of our Christmas gatherings tomorrow.  Making a pot of chili and wanted to incorporate some corn bread.
- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012

Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 cup Corn Meal, Yellow

1 cup Flour     , All purpose

1/3 cup Sugar

1 tablespoon Baking powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1 cup Buttermilk

2 large Eggs, lightly beaten

3 tablespoons Oil, Vegetable

1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

1   can (11 oz) Corn, whole kernel, drained

3 tablespoons Jalapenos, chopped, pickled

Directions:

1. Preheat Egg to 375º F. Lightly grease 8-inch-square baking pan. Add 1 tbsp. oil to pan and put in Egg until cornbread batter is ready.  This will give a good crust to the bottom.

2. Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Combine buttermilk (or yogurt), eggs and oil in medium bowl. Add to corn meal mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in cheese, corn and jalapeños. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Indirect bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Serve warm. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Get a bag of Martha White Self Rising corn bread mix and go by the recipe on the bag.  It will be good.
  • Duganboy said:
    Get a bag of Martha White Self Rising corn bread mix and go by the recipe on the bag.  It will be good.

Did that exact thing last night.  turned out great!
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 cup Corn Meal, Yellow

1 cup Flour     , All purpose

1/3 cup Sugar

1 tablespoon Baking powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1 cup Buttermilk

2 large Eggs, lightly beaten

3 tablespoons Oil, Vegetable

1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

1   can (11 oz) Corn, whole kernel, drained

3 tablespoons Jalapenos, chopped, pickled

Directions:

1. Preheat Egg to 375º F. Lightly grease 8-inch-square baking pan. Add 1 tbsp. oil to pan and put in Egg until cornbread batter is ready.  This will give a good crust to the bottom.

2. Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Combine buttermilk (or yogurt), eggs and oil in medium bowl. Add to corn meal mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in cheese, corn and jalapeños. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Indirect bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Serve warm. 

Sounds good I will give it a try.  Probably won't incorporate the jalepeno and use a finely shredded sharp cheddar since thats what I have on hand.  That won't throw anything off in the recipe will it?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44
    Duganboy said:

Well maybe this is easier.  Can pick up at any store? 
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44 said:
    Duganboy said:

Well maybe this is easier.  Can pick up at any store? 

VI's sounds awesome and doesn't look that difficult, and is a lot more interesting, but yes, any grocery store should have it.  Although, I live in the South and cornbread mix is not hard to come by.  Make sure you use buttermilk.  Regular milk will do fine, but IMHO buttermilk is much better. 
  • tays44 said:
    won't incorporate the jalepeno and use a finely shredded sharp cheddar since thats what I have on hand.  That won't throw anything off in the recipe will it?
    Not at all.  In fact, when I make regular cornbread (usually to put in a dressing), I'll leave out the jalapenos, corn, and cheese.  Makes great regular cornbread.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539

1 box Jiffy cornbread
    1 box Jiffy yellow cake mix
    1/2 c. water
    1/2 c. milk
    2 eggs
    1/4 c. oil

Bake 5 minutes at 400 degrees, then 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Bake in greased 8 x 8 inch pan or CI skillet.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • tays44

I kind of did a mixture between both.  I had a Morrison's Corn Kits corn bread mix on hand.  Combined dthat with a couple handfuls of sharp cheddar, a small can of corn, and a tablespoon of sugar.  Turned out okay, although was very thin doing in my cast iron.

Thanks for the help everyone.

- EAT BEEF -
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Thanks, @Village Idiot. I've been looking for a recipe like this.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    bump

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron lookey here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks Steve.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited March 2014
    Wow LS...not bad for an inexperienced moron.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I see the inexperience here goes way back.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker