Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brinecock Turkey

Options
Publix had a fresh 15 lb. turkey with my name on it for just over nine bucks this morning. Spatchcocked it and brining it now to put on the Egg for dinner this evening. Planning 400F raised indirect with no rub just to see what the brine does.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Best to you. I like direct but bet yours works just as well. Using any small amount of wood?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Whoa, Mickey! Thought you did all yours raised direct? Thinking about some pecan I just recently obtained, haven't really tried it yet. 
  • Mickey
    edited December 2012
    Options

NOTICE: I HAVE TO GET BACK ON MY MEDS......DIRECT COOK FOR ME......

100% direct raised @ 400, it just works for me and keep an eye on it. About a 90 min cook at 11/12 pound birds.

My wood is one fistfull of mixed pecan/cherry chips, but just pecan is fine. I like the cherry for color of the bird as can't taste anything in doing the cherry. But please do use little and not to much wood as too much smoke is not your friend on birds.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Got it, Mickey. You da man when it comes to spatchcocked turkey! Ever brine one first? BTW, just finished up using my first batch of your coffee rub, too. It went over well on a number of things. Appreciate all your input over the past year! You like to keep it simple and we do, too! 
  • Mickey
    Options
    OK VI say anything you like. I am officially loseing it.I can't work and do the forum. Time to retire... Gary please send money for my retirement....

• Mickey
    Options
    Steve I have never did the brine. The spatchcock is very moist as is and I am very basic lazy person. Why add a step. If I had time I like to set bird uncovered in fridge over night for a better skin.

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    On at 4:08 pm, sprinkled aome celery seed and thyme on.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Pulled it off the Egg at 165F breast temp. It has very good flavor, I really like the pecan smoke. The brine gives it depth. The toasted celery seed is a nice accent. And, made turkey stock with the spatched out turkey back, neck, and giblets and converted that to a tasty dirty rice!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Nice bird. Next time you might want to nick/cut at breast so it will be more flat. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos