Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which torch?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I've been using paper towel and oil to light grill since I ran out of the starter cubes that came with egg. It works but annoying and tedious, especially if windy. Thought about the electric starter but the short cord a deal killer. And I hear a lot of people here use the MAP torch. So I went to Lowes. I bought the TS8000. Which one do most of you use? How long does it take to light? Do you use the yellow map tanks? Or the blue propane? Do you use on food as well?
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I always wondered what people meant when they said weed burner. Now I know. That's pretty cool. Seems like connects to same canisters as torch I bought, just a longer reach. How long does it take for you to get your Egg lit?
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have the TS4000 - Lights the lump with ease.

Garnerville, NY
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    robnybbq said:

I almost bought that one. Only reason didn't was the 8000 was only $5 more. I dunno the difference like Tim the tool man Taylor says 'more power'
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    FanOfFanboys said:
    I almost bought that one. Only reason didn't was the 8000 was only $5 more. I dunno the difference like Tim the tool man Taylor says 'more power'
    Hey - I would have done the same if I saw it.....  And BTW The tanks last a long long time.  I bought 2 spare tanks that I have not touched yet.  First tank made it from April to now and still got gas left.

Garnerville, NY
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    That's good to hear. Only reason I didn't buy prior is bc was concerned about cost of replacing tanks. Had I known that woulda bought long time ago.
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options

Bottom left for the Large

Bottom Right for the Mini's

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options

Got mixed up and used the left tank to light the Mini once and burnt the hell out of the handle.

New rule: Don't use the left tank to light a Mini (No matter how fast you want to eat)........

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Damn Mickey! I wish I had known more about this prior. I gave away my propane tank from my gasser after I got Egg. I know zero about torches prior to today. Woulda been better to do that. Oh well. Cool setup though.
    Boom
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I just recently got the ts8000 with the MAP gas that I was planning to use for finishing up some sous vide cooks.  I also have a looft lighter for lump lighting. I've done side by side comparisons for lump lighting and the ts8000 is much faster.  I'll use the looft lighter when it isn't windy or nasty out and use the ts8000 when it's raining or cold. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @dlk7 good info. Thanks.
    Boom