Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Prime" Prime Rib

sierrahotel
sierrahotel Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Beef

Decided to jump off the cliff for Xmas dinner and do my first prime rib on the egg - without a net!

I was able to source a prime cut 8# bone-in from my local butcher, and rubbed it with kosher salt and a little "Butt Rub", wrapped in foil and into the frig overnight.

Christmas eve the wife and I attended Midnight mass, getting to bed about 2:30 in the am. Unfortunately our 19 year old (going on 6!) decided we had to get up early on Christmas morning and got us up about 6:45 . . . A pot of coffee did improve our outlook somewhat . . .

I fired up the egg at about 9 am, grabbed a Mimosa (another XMas tradition), and settled in until the heat was 230 (dome). I had installed the place setter (legs up) in between Mimosas #1 and #2 along with a drip pan, and I placed the rib on a v-rack on top of the egg grate at 10 am. Now, nap time in front of the fireplace . . .

A little after  2 pm the internal temp was at 125, so I opened up the vents wide open and watched the temps climb to "HHH" on the ol' Maverick monitor, and let it continue to cook. I pulled the rib at 3 pm when the internal temp hit 135. I let it sit for 15 minutes to let the juices settle back into the meat, and started carving. 

OMG - Daddy done good!!!  The outside was crusted beautifully with a nice smoke ring, the end cuts were medium-well, the middle cuts were rare, and perfection was damned near achieved.  We served it with Rosemary potatoes, a salad, and a bottle of 2007 Merryvale Oak Knoll Cabernet. There's enough for the spousal unit and I to have prime rib tonight!

Looking back, the key ingredient? A toss-up between the nap and the Mimosas.  Both were critical. :-)

Happy holidays everyone!

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the photos - iphone doesn' cut it.  Next time it's the Nikon!

Comments