Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having issues with smoke

Twice I have tried smoked turkeys on the egg and both times the smoke flavor was very little to non existent. Bird flavor and moistness was great but the smoke just wasnt there. Used Cherry chunks and was told not to overdo it on poultry. I used two chunks about fist size both times. Do I need to add more? I arranged them so that the fire would hit them later, which it did. Had a nice smoke coming out of there for a while. What am I doing wrong? Birds were cooked at 325.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Try slowing it down maybe. I haven't done a smoked turkey on the egg but I used to run my weber around 250-275 with about 5-6 chunks and would get lots of smoke in it.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Also, sometimes low and slow on turkey kills the skin wrap it in cheese cloth and bump up the temp the last 30 mins to crisp the skin if you so please. Remove cheese cloth before doing so
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    you can low and slow the bird but you wont get the texture of a roasted bird, i still like them cooked that way at times. also at 325, try addding different types of smoking wood, adding hickory to the cherry 50/50 will give more flavor to the smoked bird, cherry to me is mild but adds lots of color
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Have it hit the smoke right away. 1-2 chunks should do it. No need to have it hit later
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Where are you getting your wood? I used to use cheap stuff from Wal-Mart or Lowe's, but when I started using some better quality wood I noticed a much better flavor.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Where are you getting your wood? I used to use cheap stuff from Wal-Mart or Lowe's, but when I started using some better quality wood I noticed a much better flavor.
    This is good wood from a reputable meat market. They sell it by the pound. Whatever the problem is, its all me I'm sure.  I am going to mix some Hickory in there next time. Also going to back the heat down some. When I had an electric smoker, I used to smoke birds at 250. Thanks for all the replies.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The wal-mart trees used for smoke chips are on steroids and antibiotics.  Makes for a terrible smoke. ;)
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2012
    tchcock
    Dry rub 6-12 hours before
    Leave in fridge uncovered
    Cherry wood and water pan
    350* for less than 2 hours
    Yank and foil when ~160* in breast
    Foil ~30-60 minutes
    Fudge this recipe one way or the other depending on taste....

imageimageimageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ..meh - can't edit that last repeat pic out, sorry...

I won't say i was impressed with this formula for delicious turkey, but zoom in on that meat in either of those last pics there ---  unbelievably moist and cherry smoke flavour throughout...

Don't worry about oversmoking the meat...  Two pieces is WAY too little, imho..  Load up the smoker.  Let the bird sit in that for a few hours...  If it's quality wood, if the smoke SMELLS good, it will taste amazing.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Best to smoke at the start of the cook. Once the meat reaches a certain temp it won't take on much more smoke flavoring.