Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Fried - Replace or Not?

I did a clean burn on my XL over the weekend and the gasket fused together.  Got it cut apart and now I'm debating if I really need to replace it.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012
    No on my three. I think the real reason they are there is to cushion the lowering of the led anyway.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I keep gaskets on mine. My large lid slammed down the other day and its gasket has seen better days and it scared me pretty bad. Probably gonna replace the mini and large gasket in the garage today since its supposed to rain all day. The new high heat gaskets even have the sticky back already so all you do is peel and stick. When you go to shut down an egg with no gasket all the smoke just comes through the gap. I haven't tested it but there's no way that airflow doesn't hinder the process of shutting down the egg or trying to lower the temp.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

I roll with Rutland...once and done.  Search box type Rutland and you will find some great info.  

Got a "seasoned" Nomex on one that will be replaced with Rutland in the near future.

For a brand new large and small I removed the original felt and replaced with Rutland.  Much easier to remove when new.  

An outlaw egger (vidalia1) posted installing his gasket on the dome only.  Thought it was a great idea and installed mine the same. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker

Forgot the pic

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• If you can get your dome adjusted so that the seal is still good (won't be dollar bill good, but just don't have a big gap) it's not a huge deal. I put a nomex on my XL after my felt fried but it didn't last long (more my fault than any). You will "lose" some smoke in-between the lid and base but as long as the gap is minimized the shut-down time isn't a real big difference (it is still a little different though).

If and when I put another gasket on it will only be on the top, and most likely be a Rutland.

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    They do not recommend putting rutlands on the top only the bottom. The company actually doesn't recommend using it around food at all but putting it on the top gives you a decent chance of getting fiberglass fibers in your food. As far as the once and done I installed a Rutland on my small and a nomex on one of my larges and the Rutland made it a couple years and started pulling off and the nomex was still in decent shape on my large when I sold it a couple months ago. My experience the nomex with super 77 outlasted the Rutland with permatex.
  • I roll with just the Permatex Ultra Copper...here it is new. it's much dirtier now, but otherwise its holding up as new. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Focker
    edited December 2012
    Lit said:
    They do not recommend putting rutlands on the top only the bottom. The company actually doesn't recommend using it around food at all but putting it on the top gives you a decent chance of getting fiberglass fibers in your food. As far as the once and done I installed a Rutland on my small and a nomex on one of my larges and the Rutland made it a couple years and started pulling off and the nomex was still in decent shape on my large when I sold it a couple months ago. My experience the nomex with super 77 outlasted the Rutland with permatex.

If installed and cured properly, how is a Rutland on the dome more hazardous to your health than a Rutland on the base?  Give me something other than dangling fiberglass fibers when opening.  Top or bottom the risks of disturbing the fibers when opening are equal.  

As far as the Rutland failure, seems to me like the only cause would be improper installation....not enough Permatex. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2012

Never understood the need to do "clean burn" to clean the Egg.

I think a certain amount of build up is needed for enhanced flavor.

Do you take steel wool and soap to a seasoned skillet to get it clean

Just sayin'.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Focker
    Clean burns are pizza cooks.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities