Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Class Today!

Options
Got a few college boys home for the holidays that like to EAT off the Egg. Noticed though, that dad does a little too much for them and they're not learning anything 'new'. So today it's up and at 'em (at the crack of noon) boys, you're going to do it all and make your own ribs! (yeah, I know, I bought 'em, but one thing at a time!). From cleaning out the Egg and putting in the lump to picking your rubs to the bend test it's time! 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Awesome.  Teach them to BBQ and eventually they can start paying you back for (well, kids ain't cheap) everything by doing the cooking.   Not to mention it's a pretty useful skill.
    Options

Crack of noon. =))

I think its a great idea to teach them how to do it themselves. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Give a man some food of off the egg and he can eat for a day. Teach him how to use and cook on the egg and he can eat for a lifetime. Good job with the boys.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Looking forward to the pics and video if you make one. Great thread already.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Sounds great but don't be surprised if they add a BGE to their Wish List and expect Santa (Dad) to deliver. ;)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I thought the other day that's it's about time to get my 13 year old son involved. He makes the best pecan pie. I've taught him to mow yards and since he was 11 he makes around $2500 a summer..of course he uses a 52" zero degree cub. Back in my day....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    My 2.5 year old loves helping cleaning the ash and loading up lump. My wife hates me for it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    I thought the other day that's it's about time to get my 13 year old son involved. He makes the best pecan pie. I've taught him to mow yards and since he was 11 he makes around $2500 a summer..of course he uses a 52" zero degree cub. Back in my day....
    Crap! A couple of summers, he can buy his own(or daddy a new one)
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

The crack of noon.

My dad use to say " are you going to stay in bed until the sun burns another hole in your butt". 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    I am only 24, and back in my day I mowed tons of yards using a push mower (up to 1 acre).  Too cheap back then to invest in bigger equipment, lol.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Started off just loadin' lump. What's lump, dad? Oh, burns cleaner and slower than briquettes, son. And here's how we set up the fire pit mixing in some chunks of wood for smoke. We've got hickory, apple, cherry, etc. Apple! (doesn't know why yet .... but a good choice).
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    I didn't realize but after having the Egg for only one year we've got a pretty good rub lineup in the cupboard. So he checks them all and (unknowingly) picks one of my home made rubs and preps the ribs, trims and rubs 'em down.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Yep. If you don't take a few pictures it didn't happen.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Dialed in the Egg at 225F dome and set up the CGS rig and threw on the rubbed three slab Costco pack trimmed to make four racks. Don't get the Egg hot when you want to go low and slow, use a fire starter and let it creep up to temp while you're preppin' the ribs. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    We let them go for 3 hours at 225F dome, swapped rack locations half way. Then foiled meat side down in parkay and sarracha for an hour. Son LOVES sarracha sauce. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Removed the foil and threw them back on meat side up for an hour. At this point I had to be somewhere and left instructions to just let them firm up 1/2 hour to hour but forgot to tell him to sauce them the last 20 minutes. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    They turned out great, though. The ones below are the rack I had him rub 'kid spice' on ( S&P and GP) for the wife and little ones. Even without sauce we pretty well nailed these ribs. One of my son's friends dropped by and they both enjoyed a rack or two while trading funny college stories. Son was most appreciative for the time and instruction and truly enjoyed the whole process. So yeah, someday son kid for his wedding gift or something like that will be getting a new LBGE!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Today we put on a couple of pork butts to give away as Christmas gifts ..... E-Z compared to ribs!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    ... and a new Egghead is born !

Tell your son they look GREAT !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious